No Reserve???

• 6 posts
    February 14, 2010 2:13 PM PST
    I've got a 1980 Honda 400T Hawk as my primary bike right now. It's got a fuel cut-off/reserve/on switch, and the tank capacity is 2.8 gallons. For some reason, this past fall I ran out of gas, and when I switched it over to reserve, she wouldn't fire up for nothin. I has to walk up the road and buy some gas off a guy mowin his lawn. I thought it was a fluke, but it happened again (this time I had my own full gas can with me). I've tried switching it over before it actually runs out and stalls, but as soon as you flip the switch it's like turning off the gas. Any idea what's wrong? Can I fix it, or just accept that I don't have a reserve tank? I know there's at least one guy (SingSing, callin' you out! lol) that started on a 400 Hawk, and a couple more on here familiar with the model. I'd really like to know what's goin on with it.
  • February 14, 2010 2:18 PM PST
    I had a 78 Hawk(my first bike) but I sure don't remember having that problem.Could be debris or clog at the feed for the reserve?Good luck,I am sure some one better qualifyed than me will be able to help!
    • 19046 posts
    February 14, 2010 2:21 PM PST
    I do not know that particular bike but most fuel valves have a slightly longer tube for regular driving and when you switch it to reserve it takes fuel from a slightly lower point in the tank. I can think of three things.
    !. Maybe someone relpaced the valve and didn't put the tube in for the normal mode.
    2. maybe (1980 you say) there is some rust or other debris in the valve clogging the reserve intake
    3. possibly the internal part of the valve is not working
    In any event I suggest removing the valve and checking it's function or just replace it. I just remembered, once I saw a valve where the switching lever was installed incorrectly and it was in reality on reserve already when it looked like it was on normal.
    Good Luck,
    • 1509 posts
    February 14, 2010 2:29 PM PST
    4. My wife had a rebel and the indicator on the lever was real confuseing especially due to the valve rotates 360 degrees. if I am correct. off is up run is at 3 o'clock and res is at 9 o'clock. If you are getting the indicator wrong you could be pointing at run but the valve is in res which will run the tank completely empty and when you rotate you actualy switch to run
    Hope this helps.
    • 1040 posts
    February 14, 2010 2:32 PM PST
    Thinking what wolfhound said. Sounds like your reserve feed might be clogged or maybe some debris in it. I had a fuel problem nlike that on my FXR a while back. I had pulled my tank off and pulled my fuel control lever valve (Petcock) off to re seal my tank. Put it back together and the bike wouldn't start. Turns out the petcock when I had taken it apart, I put the intrnal rubber seal that allows fuel flow to the on, reserve, off ares of the switch was on wrong. Now, this surely is not the same problem as yours; but, as old as the bike is it could have trash or the internal gasket could have slipped blocking fuel to your reserve, or the gasket could have just cracked allowing a smakll piece to allow blockage. I'm no expert, but I would check to see what a new fuel control valve (Petcock) cost and just replace it if its within your financial range, or remove your control vavle, take it apart and see if you can determine what the cause is. Sure sounds to me like something is blocking or clogging you up there. Let us know what ya find out.

What Ruty and Rex said too
    • 6 posts
    February 14, 2010 3:05 PM PST
    Hmmm. There's actually a pretty good chance that it wasn't installed right. The bike was custom painted (not all that well, I might add) before I got it, frame and all, so I know that it was torn down completely by someone who obviously wasn't a high-budget shop or even someone with attention to details. Could very easily have messed up something like that during re-assembly. I'll pull the valve and check the line going into it while I'm in there. You know, I've just about lost faith in mechanics working on my stuff lol. Like I said, it was done before I got it, but still, that's pretty likely where the problem is. Thanks folks!
    • 1509 posts
    February 14, 2010 11:59 PM PST
    Should look something like this.the long tune is the run circuit.
    • 5420 posts
    February 15, 2010 2:10 AM PST
    shedsruty59 wrote...
    4. My wife had a rebel and the indicator on the lever was real confuseing especially due to the valve rotates 360 degrees. if I am correct. off is up run is at 3 o'clock and res is at 9 o'clock. If you are getting the indicator wrong you could be pointing at run but the valve is in res which will run the tank completely empty and when you rotate you actualy switch to run
    Hope this helps.

Exactly what happened to me a long time back on an old Suzuki.  I thought the handle of the valve should be toward Run or Res.  But came to find out (the hard way) that the front of the valve shold be pointing at the desired position.  So like Ed said, I was always running in Res.

• December 5, 2010 2:08 PM PST
    anfriend of mine had an Intruder tha when it ran out of gas it took it about 15 min before it would fire back up dont know why it did that but it did exactly that. we were ridin on time an it happened we sat on the side of the road for about 15 min after we put gas in it then it fired right up just a thought
    • 1 posts
    December 8, 2010 12:38 AM PST
    Hey Hawk, did you ever get this one figured out?
  • September 23, 2011 6:06 AM PDT
    The whole idea here is to get the bike right. No doubt in my mind about that valve of yours and Rex mentioned everything I would have. What I will add is instead of INITIALLY screwing around with the valve, just go to a dealer and buy a new one. Then, disassemble the old one clean it in carb/tranny/parts cleaner and reassemble with all new parts. You now have one in reserve or one that you can sell to someone else that needs one at about 60% of the new part price.