Best starter bike?

• February 7, 2010 3:04 PM PST
    I'm 22 and about 5'1, my husband has been riding all his life and I ride with him on the back currently but I'd like to get a bike of my own in the near future. I'm hoping to get something close to a decent cruiser since we're planning a camping trip at the end of the year and would like to ride and carry my own gear.

What is the best starter bike around? I've been looking at bikes under 400cc so mostly imports. I'm not at all interested in mini bikes or a scooter since I don't want to be made fun of too badly lol.

any ideas?

• February 7, 2010 3:10 PM PST
    a 500cc kawasaki vulcan is a great starter bike
  • February 7, 2010 3:14 PM PST
    A lady offered me a 1986 Kawasaki KZ500 for $500 or best offer. It's in good running condition, just needs carbs cleaned and I know a guy who does it cheap.

Good option for me or too much bike to start with? Hubby is worried because his is a Honda CM400 and it puts out a lot of power.
  • February 7, 2010 3:39 PM PST
    can you test ride the bike if so let your husband test ride it frist to see if it has to much power for you
  • February 7, 2010 9:57 PM PST
    Honda Shadows make good starter bikes, low seating position, room for cargo, plenty options available.
  • February 7, 2010 10:11 PM PST
    Hey Gina, We use to have a Honda shadow 750ace where she start practicing around the neiborhood and it was ok for her. I just got a Honda VTX 1300 and is to much for her. I just bought her a Honda Magna Vt750 1996, Is very comfortable and easy to ride. She is only 5'3 and said it feel safe and happy. We know is a little powerfull for what she want but is getting use to with practice. Tell your husband to take you for a test drive and see what happend. Good Luck, be bless and ride safe.. Jr
    • 601 posts
    February 7, 2010 11:25 PM PST
    Personally i would reccomend the Honda Bros 400, both my son and daughter learned on one and loved it. Its got nice power, easy to handle and very forgiving to learners. I dont know abouy the U.S but these bikes hold their value in Ireland, because they are a great starter bike. I still have mine and half the kids on my estate have learned to ride on it...its 1988 got 40,000 miles up ande still worth €1800 = $ 2200. Just my 2cents, its your choice
    • 19007 posts
    February 7, 2010 11:50 PM PST
    I know first hand of two ladies your size who started on Honda shadows, in the 650cc range. It is as Flatlander said easy to ride and you can carry some cargo. I really think smaller engines are a mistake since you will very fast outgrow anything less and 650 is plenty big enough to give you a few years of riding.
    • 0 posts
    February 8, 2010 8:49 AM PST
    Honda shadows are a great starter bike, I agree.
    I would recomend that you start with something like that and used/ cheap
    As you gain confidence, you will realize that it is too small for long cruising and a bit cramped compared to the newer bikes and you will want to trade up. Best not to loose too much on a starter bike.

My wife started on a 750 shadow spirit and within 6 months went to a new V-star 950 (awsome bike)
  • February 8, 2010 8:59 AM PST
    I agree with RexTheRoadDog. My first bike was a Yamaha 600, easy enough to handle and train with. In no time at all I was screaming through the mountain curves. I still sort of miss that thing, can't do curves on a Harley like that Yamaha! But I disliked it intensely for long trips.
    I did not ride it for a few years...by the end of the first summer I already outgrew the 600cc engine and bought a Heritage Softail for the next riding season!
    • 1509 posts
    February 8, 2010 9:00 AM PST
    Check it out, The Wife is 5' 5" and was a little tall for tis It will probably fit you well. You should be able to find a used one for less than $1000.00.
    1985 Honda Rebel. 250 also made in 450 the 250 halled my fat ass at 60 with no problem. Still make them new. Has a low center of gravity and handles great.
  • February 8, 2010 9:26 AM PST
    My first bike is the Honda Rebel 450. Great starter bike, but I can see already I am wanting to upgrade to something a bit bigger. I'm only 5'1/4", so I need something I could be comfortable on and able to put my feet flat on the ground. The bike fits me perfectly and she has a lot of get up and go. Sit on a lot of bikes and find something comfortable before you buy one. My girlfriend just bought the Vulcan 500 and it is just a little to high for her. She's had a terrible time finding something to fit her short frame.
  • MJ
    • 35 posts
    February 8, 2010 9:37 AM PST
    I have watched many of my female friends start with a starter bike and have seen them regret not just starting with the bike they wanted. So as for me I started with the bike I always wanted. I just took it real slow and everyday is a learning experience for me still today. Good luck and have fun !!!!!
    • 1509 posts
    February 8, 2010 9:55 AM PST
    sidetrack wrote...
    My first bike is the Honda Rebel 450. Great starter bike, but I can see already I am wanting to upgrade to something a bit bigger. I'm only 5'1/4", so I need something I could be comfortable on and able to put my feet flat on the ground. The bike fits me perfectly and she has a lot of get up and go. Sit on a lot of bikes and find something comfortable before you buy one. My girlfriend just bought the Vulcan 500 and it is just a little to high for her. She's had a terrible time finding something to fit her short frame.

Sidetrack,
    Your Picturers mak you look taller!

Go for a softtail standard, one of the lowest bikes Harley makes, Lower than a sportster low!
  • February 8, 2010 10:04 AM PST
    Thats because I have a large presence, LOL No, I'm verically challenged, I keep step stools everywhere.
    Thanks, Shedsruty, I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to start shopping for my next ride.
    • 2072 posts
    February 8, 2010 11:04 AM PST
    Honda Shadow 750 is a very good choice. Sits low, fairly light and easy to maneuver. My Sister-In-Law has one. My Brothers Magna wasn't ready for a long trip so he rode the Shadow (with me on my Boulevard) from California to Arkansas and back. Had no problem keeping up and he had a full load. Whatever you choose just remember...... Take your time and get comfortable with not only the bike but also your abilities.
  • February 8, 2010 11:38 AM PST
    get what you want and lower it! drop shocks, shorter tires, trim out the seat.....
  • February 8, 2010 12:14 PM PST
    I have owned well over 40 bikes and strongly believe that every rider is different when it comes to the perfect bike. I do suggest that although newer bikes have bigger motors their power output is much different now, for instance the Kawasaki 500 is a great low seat height bike, easily handled and plenty of zip, but for a few extra dollars you can go into the Honda Shadows in the 750cc range and not feel as though you will outgrow the bike in a matter of months or the slightly smaller VLX 650cc which does not have the same center of balance. The Kawasaki 500 has more torgue and performs better then the VLX. The little 250cc bikes are great learners but you will not want it for long so do not buy it new. As for many of the older model bikes from the 80's and 90's they may be good bikes but have a good bike repair shop that handles models over 10 years old as many do not anymore as standard practice. many of these models also had higher centers of gravity, more torque and horsepower in smaller motor sizes as they were much less restricted by the EPA and DOT back then so although smaller they may be less forgiving if you are not ready for them. In the older bikes, try to stay under the $1,000 budget so that you are not at a total loss if something unfortunate happens or you're less than satisfied w/ performance. But always have the bike checked prior to the purchase, especially if you think or know that it sat for a long time and the fluids were not removed. Good luck with your search but do not be to hasty to grab the 1st thing to come along.
  • February 8, 2010 12:18 PM PST
    Even though I am an American V-Twin guy, I have to say this. Get something that fits you well in a metric. Lower cost, extremely dependable and if you decide you don't like sporting your own, you can turn it pretty easy. If you do like it, then easy to sell and move up. A Honda Nighthawk in 250 or 450. I loaned a guy some money once against a '79 Honda CX500 Custom. That would make you a wonderful bike.(V-Twin, shaft drive)
    • 6 posts
    February 8, 2010 1:08 PM PST
    Great advice; the thing is, you're all right lol. I don't REALLY want her to get something that she could use for a month and have to replace, but I also know that a lot of the OLD metrics had a lot more power than people give them credit. For instance, my present bike, a CM400 Hawk, I've bought off of my Mom; she bought it as her first bike, WAY underestimated it's power, and ended up laying it down twice in three blocks. (lower speed, she was ok, except for some bruises and a crippled will); When I started riding it, I soon discovered that it would put my Dad's Yamaha 650 twin down in a heartbeat. It's a lower stroked engine, dual carbs, and a high-flow exhaust; It will hang on the highway at 60-65 mph, and get around 50-60 mpg doing it. Any faster, it's fuel economy really suffers, and that's where a larger engine would be better, since cruising at 70-75 seems to cut the milage in half (top speed is just over 85). The Hawk runs highway, and because it's so old, it's really easy to work on, not a lot of electronic junk that's standard on newer, more expensive bikes, so little if any wiring trouble. I've really loved it; not to say I wouldn't have liked a bigger bike more, but it's really impressed me in almost every way. We've added so many accessories, it looks like it's trying to be a dresser, because truthfully, I can't afford to replace it right now. The cool part is that at the moment, I don't feel like I have to. I plan to wait for three or four years, save some money, and buy a used Heritage or Road King, and there's been a few available for under ten grand. Until then, my 30 year old Honda will have to do. Wow that was a long comment lol.
  • February 8, 2010 2:07 PM PST
    I'm 5'5" and started on a yamaha virago 750. I don't regret that choice for a second. Yes, I got a new bike the next year but that first year really forms your confidence(speaking as a woman) and having a bike that fits you and doesn't overpower you is invaluable. I do agree that if you love riding you will probably wind up with another bike in the future but so what. I found mine used with 11K miles for 2k. Low seat height and enough power that I could have kept it if I didn't want a Harley so much.....my opinion
  • February 8, 2010 3:58 PM PST

Thanks so much to everyone for your input!! If I could find a Honda Rebel around here for a decent price I would probably jump on that offer. I saw a white one online with barely 900 miles on it for $1200 not too far from where I am but it was sold to the husband of an amazingly lucky lady just in time for christmas.

So far the best contenders in my search are the following (mostly because they aren't TOO SMALL, are close enough to go test ride, and are in my limited price range):

1986 Kawasaki KZ550- $500 or best offer, needs carbs cleaned and a battery. The lady who offered me this bike says it sits nice and low.

1982 Yamaha Vision 550- $450 or best offer. Needs battery charged and lifters adjusted(?), might be more work than its worth but it seems this one is more of a cafe racer style bike

1982 Honda CX500- $500 firm. Possibly needs an alternator along with a new battery. Seat is also kinda torn up.

1979 Yamaha XS400- $400 or best offer. Needs points cleaned and an electric starter solenoid. Still kickstarts without one. This one looks nice, like it's been well cared for.

1981 Kawasaki 550 ltd- $750 or best offer. Has almost 24,000mi on it though and needs a little carb work. Runs good.

*So far my favorite is the 86 KZ550, I'm probably gonna go look at it and then arrange a day for our mechanic guy to come look at it too.

• 844 posts
    February 11, 2010 5:39 AM PST
    Yep, I agree with many of the people above on the Honda Shadow 750. I know its a little bigger motor than you were looking for, but is a real nice machine. They are low with a good riding position.
  • g
    February 11, 2010 6:31 AM PST
    loads of gid advice from folks ,dont go to high on the power ,also get ur man to try it out first .
  • g
    February 11, 2010 6:32 AM PST
    cant go wrong with a honda .