The VA Choice Act (absurd)

• 1855 posts
    November 27, 2016 9:49 AM PST

Here's a summary of the latest VA choice act; a bunch of crap that does nothing to help a Veteran. My idea to save the VA money and to imporve Vets health is a helluva lot simpler. Those Veterans who are on Medicare ought to be able to go to a non-VA doctor without any pre-approvals. What medicare doesn't pay the VA should come in as the secondary insurance. This program exists for widows of Veterans; what Medicare doesn't pay the VA does. It's called CHAMPVA and the only difference I can see is that CHAMPVA is part of the DOD and VA Health Care is not. Imagine that there are 100,000 of us, disabled Veterans, over 62 years of age, and on medicare. Allowing us to go anywhere in the medicare system would free up at least 100,000 appointments a year and help with the backlog of patients from Iraq and Afghanistan. It would certainly help with the VA budget. And damn, it's a system that already exists for widows and dependents. But hell, it's too simple an idea. The VA had to come up some stupid crap like the following:

http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/documents/choice-act-summary.pdf

• 19034 posts
    November 28, 2016 4:45 AM PST

I agree with your idea but I do use the Choice system for my primary care. So far it has worked well for me.

• 1855 posts
    November 29, 2016 2:46 AM PST
    Tell me how you did that for "primary care". Are you saying you can go regularly to your family physician and the VA pays for that? You got full time approval?
    • 19034 posts
    November 29, 2016 5:30 AM PST

Yes, I have. Since the nearest VA is over 40 miles away (actually it is 290 miles) from me I went through the Choice program. I suggested my Doctor to them and if he is approved for them, which he already was (don't know what that takes) they made my first appointment. From then on I go when needed. Although my Dr is still over 40 miles away he is the closest to me. I think your VA disability rating factors into this. I am 100%.

This post was edited by RexTheRoadDog at November 29, 2016 5:31 AM PST
    • 1855 posts
    November 29, 2016 9:28 AM PST

O.K.  I'm 70% but as soon as I go and piss on the administrators desk that will change.  LOL   Well my VA is only 10 miles away from my home in Alabama; an outpatient clinic in Pensacola called the Joint Ambulatory Care Center (JACC) The naval hospital is right next door but ironically enouugh I can't go there.  I'm not Navy but I'm not sure if that's the reason.  Hell, it's an accredited Naval Hospital. 

• 58 posts
    November 29, 2016 12:09 PM PST

[blockquote]Jimmyacorn said:

O.K.  I'm 70% but as soon as I go and piss on the administrators desk that will change.  LOL   Well my VA is only 10 miles away from my home in Alabama; an outpatient clinic in Pensacola called the Joint Ambulatory Care Center (JACC) The naval hospital is right next door but ironically enouugh I can't go there.  I'm not Navy but I'm not sure if that's the reason.  Hell, it's an accredited Naval Hospital. 

[/blockquote]

The navy hosp would be an active duty facility and, to my understanding, only avail to active and retired.  And this is why TriCare Prime exists, so those of us who don't live near a facility can get our care.  Only with the advent of "Affordable Care" this option was taken away from me because I live too far from a facility.  Go Figure!

This post was edited by RufCut at November 29, 2016 12:13 PM PST