Situational Aware Combat Vet's

• November 21, 2016 5:50 AM PST

Many of you know my back ground working for a Personal Protection Contractor in Texas, and my passion to protect the innocent. I just read this on Yahoo this morning... A San Antono Police Officer was shot and killed setting in his patrol car writting a ticket. Most Police Officers ride alone with no on scene back-up, and a lot of times they are distracted by there duties. Driving through high crime neighborhoods can be dangerous for a single Officer. 

I need from the CF Family opinons on the following concept....

Combat Military Vet's are the best resource for observing and using situstional awareness in there daily life. I would like to see a program where Military Vet's accompany Police Officers on patrol as a extra set of highly trained eyes in the art of Situational Awareness. They would not be required to engage in hands on activitiy unless asked to by the Officer. There duty would be as Awareness back up for the Officer during traffic stops and other low profile engagements. Of course they would not have the authority the Officer does.

They would have to sign a statement that the Police Dept would not be responsible for there safety, and they could not carry a weapon.   We as responsible Military Veteran's need to come together and come up with ideas to better ensure the safety of the public, and our Law Enforcement Officers.

Maybe I'm led to much by my heart and not my brain on this idea, so any comments on this would be appreciated.

Be safe out there and check 6 often

Night Dragon

• 19004 posts
    November 21, 2016 7:11 AM PST

I believe that most (actually all) police training facilities teach this, and teach it well. I'd say no to the bird dog but YES to another Trained officer. Today, they should Never go alone!

• 16795 posts
    November 21, 2016 10:24 AM PST

With the joker in the executive branch damn near condoning shooting cops, destroying property, etc.
    in the name of grievance it's no wonder all hell is breaking out.  

• 58 posts
    November 21, 2016 10:41 AM PST

I agree with Rex.  Should be another officer in the car who has the authority to act/react as necessary.

• 3006 posts
    November 25, 2016 3:00 PM PST

Yes to the team work idea. Yet some times less is more. What is required imo is more refinement of the tech available to aid the officer on the front line.Smart bullets,better armors.A/Vid tech upgraded.Mobile support drones for tracking fugitives,the list is endless.