Iron Butt

• 1855 posts
    September 26, 2016 9:09 AM PDT

At least that's what it started out to be; an Iron Butt run from Indianapolis to the USS Alabama in Mobile, to Beaudreux Cajun Grill in Daphne, to NAS in Pensacola, and then back to Indy. His 16 year old son wanted to ride along, if only to see what a biker goes through on an Iron Butt but to also spend some "quality" time with his Dad. 

Chris, the son of a long time friend of mine, gave me a call.  Chris was 20 the last time I saw him 17 years ago.  WOW!!!  "Doc, what kind of weather can we expect"?  Well, anyone from along the Gulf Coast knows the answer to that but the one constant is that it's going to be hot. And hot it was. We made plans to meet at Beaudreaux's which we did, arriving only 5 minutes apart. In the beginning I was pretty sure he wasn't going to make NAS before closing and I offered my home in the event he really wanted to see NAS.  Of course an over night stay would be a disqualifying factor in the Iron Butt.

Over a cajun meal Chris asked Linc (who found out he didn't like gator) what he would prefer to do, "head back or go to NAS the next day"? He opted for NAS (but whatever you want Dad) and they followed me and Gypsy back to our home Lillian, Alabama. Five minutes from my place and the sky opened up.  Go figure eh?!

We spent the evening catching up; mostly finding out what Chris had been doing for the last 20 years and how he wound up leaving Ohio, working for Harley in York, Pa. and then ending up in Indy; now a certified pipe welder away from home days at a time on the job. Even though not related, I was proud of him and the values he passed along to his son Linc; a fine young man whom both Gypsy and I enjoyed immensely.  I've made a mental note to tell his Grandpa.

The next morning Linc said, and I paraphrase,  "Ya know Dad, it would be nice to sit on the beach and see the Gulf since we're here already".  NAS or the beach............the Beach it was.  I got them going in the right direction but didn't tag along.  Seemed to me it should be a private moment between father and son. 

They made it home safe and sound; though like the last few minutes to my home the sky opened up on 'em.  It was a super week-end for me and I'm pretty damn sure Chris and Linc had a great adventure.

"Only the living swim upstream"

• September 26, 2016 4:04 PM PDT

sounds like a good weekend for all, Dad an I were up to our tricks again this weekend as well with a few of Our newest club members not a club ride just a fun run a few of us rode to Lynchburg TN to take in a bike/car show was post to ride back saturday afternoon but once there we found out that most of the New Guys had never took the Jack Daniels tour So we took the full tour 3hr with tasting (Now the county is Wet they sell bottles on site) so we found a nice INN with a even nicer Deck after a dinner run , I broke the seal on a bottle of Gentlemen Jack i had bought we sat on the deck drinking Jack smoking an laughing our Butt's off till 2 a.m. Late Sunday Morning near check out time We saddled up an turned for home via Junction 129 (not The Dragon) this 129 starts in Lynchburg winding thur foot hill ridges an valley bottoms till it plays out in the small town of Lynnville TN then picking up 31 south for the track home total run was 431 miles far from a Iron Butt RIDE BUT a HELL'VE lot more FUN !

Stay Safe B COOL an Live Well,

Chaser

• 19007 posts
    September 27, 2016 1:29 AM PDT

Great memories there Jimmy

• 3006 posts
    September 30, 2016 7:27 PM PDT

Good post,thanks for sharing this Doc.Most of my best buddies moved away & lost contact with them.The few that still are around here,don't ride. Waiting on my granson perhaps one day we will go riding together lol that would be interesting.

stay safe & enjoy the ride !

• 44 posts
    October 3, 2016 7:03 PM PDT

Great post Jimmy "Forever Memories" Why do some folks want to do this iron butt ride just ride and enjoy the time you have on this earth everyone wants to rush every thing now sombody has come up with a way to take the fun out of a good ride 

• October 4, 2016 6:27 AM PDT

I'm with speedyre everybody in hurry to go no where, this past Sunday I thought the same thing i was on one of my favorite backroads which has a 45 mph limit knocking alone about 50 mph enjoying the view when this truck pasts me as he passes me he honks his horn an threw up his arm in the WTF manner i just grinned real big an gave him my best Good Buddy wave (fake queer wave) he showers down on his old pick up shaking his head as he passed ME I was laughing so hard i ate a bug MEAT GROUP !

Stay Safe B Cool an Live Well