Horse Racing ... The Sport of Kings

• May 21, 2016 2:11 PM PDT
    The 141st. Preakness

The running of the second leg of the Triple Crown is run in Maryland at the Pimlico race track. In 2016, the track conditions were sloppy, (wet). A condition that was considered favorable to Exaggerator, the rival of Nyquist, (the winner of the 2016 Kentucky Derby).

The gates broke and Nyquist took the lead early, with Uncle Lino back by a nose and then leading breafly with Cherry Wine running a close third by a neck. Exaggerator was back in the larger pack, several lenghts behind. With little change along the back stretch, things didn't really heat up until the horses cleared the third turn, when Uncle Lino started loosing ground and Exaggerator began to gain it.

In the homestretch, it's Exaggerator coming on strong from the outside as he breezes past the crowded pack and takes the lead away from Nyquist. Exaggerator runs along the rail, (the sloppiest section of the track), while Cherry Wine closes the gap. At the wire, it's Exaggerator in the first position, Cherry Wine in the second position and Nyquist coming in at the third position.

There will be no Triple Crown winner this year.

The track:
    Pimlico

The conditions:
    Sloppy

The field;
    1. Cherry Wine
    2. Uncle Lino
    3. Nyquist
    4. Awesome Speed
    5. Exaggerator
    6. Lani
    7. Collected
    8. Laoban
    9. Abiding Star
    10. Fellowship
    11. Stradivari

Race results:

Win: Exaggerator

Place: Cherry Wine

Show: Nyquist

Note Worthy:

Two horses died in earlier races leading up to the Preakness; HomeboyKris and Pramedya.

Homeboykris, (a 9 year old), had won the first race of the day as a 9 - 1 underdog, but collapsed while walking to the lasics barn, after leaving the winners circle.

Pramedya, (a 4 year old), collapsed in the fourth race as a result of a broken left front leg, and was euthanized there on the track. Pramedya's jockey, (Daniel Centeno) suffered a broken right collarbone in the tragic incident.

• May 22, 2016 1:21 AM PDT
    I was pulling for Nyquist but the Crown will have to wait for its next King !
  • May 22, 2016 10:55 AM PDT
    I don't know why, but I was pulling for Exaggerator. However, I would love to have seen Nyquist go wire to wire with a win. According to everything I've read on him, that was the first time Nyquist had ever lost a race. Look for him in the Belmont, I have a feeling he'll be a force to reckon with there.