Batwing vs windshield?

• July 27, 2015 2:30 AM PDT
    I currently ride an '03 Vulcan Nomad with a windshield. Would anyone know if there is an advantage to going to a batwing,
    (other than the audio accessibility, that is.) Is there a difference in the wind resistance or performance of handling? I've found a few different ones
    but have not decided if the cost is warranted. I'm sure it enhances the looks although the bike looks pretty good as it is.
    Some knowledge would be helpful. Thanks
    • 19007 posts
    July 28, 2015 12:42 AM PDT
    Although I have never had a fairing i have not heard of any real complaints regarding their handling. Most bikes that they go on are cruisers and not superbikes so my guess is they will be fine, assuming a reputable brand.
    • 1 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:12 AM PDT
    Don't know any thing about your bike but when I was debating which tour bike to buy in 07 this was the final question to be addressed. The difference in the weight was 7 pounds which after I got use to picking the bike up off the kick stand I would say I don't notice the weight. The difference in wind protection in say bad wether I would say how the heck did the guys not tell me about this before. I in my never had a fairing thought it would catch the wind and blow me around easier the reality is it does the opposite. And as now I spoiled and can not ride my tour bike without my I pod. I love my fairing and do not regret the choice at all, I just wished I would have done this say 25 years sooner.
    • 1161 posts
    July 29, 2015 2:17 AM PDT
     I put the windshield on my little bike and loved it.  I just got my new (to me bike) with the batwing it made a huge difference.  It is almost like sitting in a bubble of air.  Mine also has lower deflecters but I'm sure that will make a difference as well. 
    • 16798 posts
    July 29, 2015 4:49 AM PDT
    I had 2 bikes with just windshields, most without either, last 1 with a fairing and a windshield, that one spoiled me. :-)
  • July 29, 2015 12:12 PM PDT
    Thanks to all that replied. It made my decision much easier. I'm not really worried about the difference in weight as the fairing is relatively lightweight. I mean, you're not adding weight of a constant rider on the front but just a few pounds but I've heard much about the better wind diversion. Now all I have to do is decide which one to get.....decisions..decisions...Thanks again
  • August 12, 2015 10:34 PM PDT
    A windshield is a huge improvement over nothing, a batwing fairing is a big improvement over just a windshield, as far as wind and weather protection, and will extend your riding season. You also have to make sure the height is correct for you.