coast to coast

• 0 posts
    January 20, 2010 8:43 AM PST
    I am in the planning stages for a ride this September (3rd-26th) from Washington to Key West and back.

What I would like, is if anyone has any suggestions of great rides or must see things along my route that are a must do. It can't be too far off, but then again I hate to think I drove right by something great and didn't stop.

The route I have planned is;

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/281409 />
    You can click on the view or edit ride plan to see in more detail of where I am going to be riding.

Thanks for your help!

GaryTJ
    • 1516 posts
    January 20, 2010 9:04 AM PST
    Seems to me from past posts, RextheRoadDog has an abundance of great information on that subject!!!
    • 601 posts
    January 20, 2010 9:45 AM PST
    I have done a share of that journey over the years and I would only be giving you a tourists view, but i always think the best advice I ever got was "suck it and see" you'll find places that will be yours, you can buy books on the must see places, or go on discovery channel. But.................if in Florida, that Sea highway is fantastic on the way to Key West, and if you stop on it, speak a foreign language to the police who tell you move on, it works, believe me. They'll get peed off and go away
    • 0 posts
    January 20, 2010 9:51 AM PST
    That is good, I will have to try that... I for sure will stopping every chance I get along that bridge.
  • January 20, 2010 10:39 AM PST
    When you go through our neck of the woods, make sure that you take an hour and stop at the Bighorn Battlefield. Worth the time. If you didn't mind adding on mileage, a pass through Yellowstone NP is worth it if you have never been. Great riding.
    • 0 posts
    January 20, 2010 11:32 AM PST
    Thanks Wolfhound, I will be touring that area in June then on to all the extreme trails (4x4) in the black hills. First time to Sturgis and it will be for 4-wheeling... LOL
  • January 20, 2010 12:53 PM PST
    I've done Oregon to NY twice....... I would highly recommend staying OFF the freeways........ the. backroads are the only way to go........
    • 0 posts
    January 20, 2010 1:12 PM PST
    I agree with you and I will be looking into a lot of the roads that go in the general direction I want to go. But it would be hard pressed to do 8000 miles on nothing but back roads in the time I have. That is why I am asking for advice from people here that have done some traveling.

Thank you Woody.
    • 19007 posts
    January 20, 2010 11:50 PM PST
    Thank You Debra Jo...
    That sounds like a GREAT ride. Wish I could do it with you.

That route map is not too detailed and to be honest the route list is a bit long for me to read. That is a long way to go in 23 days and not do a fair amount of interstate. Also in September, the chance of snow in the northern mountain passes is a serious possibility  I was very fortunate to be able to ride all lower 48 states in one run last summer. You can see the general route map at www.rideforsophie.org. ; I still have all my route maps (PC program) and will gladly share with you. I have a lot of suggestions on some of the states so send me a message.
    • 0 posts
    January 21, 2010 3:57 AM PST
    Message sent. I will look at the ride for Sophie too.
    Thanks.
  • g
    January 21, 2010 5:13 AM PST
    me and my pal ,bennyb are going to do a round scotland trip in the summer ,i know its not as far as your trip ,but it should be a good one ,it works out at about 350miles a day for 3 days .
  • January 21, 2010 5:23 AM PST
    Only one thing I can see from a quick glance - you're missing Utah completely. I40 thru Arizona is long, straight and boring, if you can move the return route north a little you'll be able to include Monument Valley, the north rim of Grand Canyon and Zion National Park before you hit Vegas.
  • January 21, 2010 6:25 AM PST
    If you don't mind, GPS that talks when you are in a street of cages makes the ride alot easier. If you need fuel, food, tourist traps or detours all is a touch away. My trip from Duluth to DC through Michigan was great with the GPS. Lists of lodging food fuel (by brand for card) and change of direction were easy and didn't have to stop to map check. Used lighter power plug-in and removable. Also allowed preload destinations and types of roads to travel. Most of the trip was 4 lane but The Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Fame was downtown Cleveland and turn by turn was easy when you are there first time. Have also had my butt saved when the exit is left side lane not right and some cities don't arrow well. If you can borrow and practice trip even in a car and shop with your bike gloves to check operation gloved. Some touch with gloves and big fingers like mine was a problem when I was shopping. I found the money well spent
    • 0 posts
    January 21, 2010 6:44 AM PST
    G, Sounds like you will have a great time. I would love to get over there someday.

PCDoc54, I spent 2 weeks last year running all over the Moab,Utah, and the 4 corners area and had a great time.
    I changed it and rerouted it north of the Grand Canyon and it is not too bad. Added about 5 hours to the trip is all. Thanks!
    • 0 posts
    January 21, 2010 7:01 AM PST
    Thanks hgsc90, I have a Garmin 885t that does all the fun stuff for me and streams music and directions to my helmet Via bluetooth.( I have a dongle for it)
    I used it all last summer running around Oregon, Idaho and Montana and it made me look like I knew what I was doing. (hard to do!)
  • g
    January 21, 2010 7:23 AM PST
    aye should be good gary, just hope the weather stays dry .
    • 0 posts
    January 21, 2010 7:57 AM PST
    g wrote...
    aye should be good gary, just hope the weather stays dry .

I thought that Scotland was always wet. Or was that Ireland...
  • g
    January 21, 2010 8:18 AM PST
    ireland ,always rains ,lol
    • 601 posts
    January 21, 2010 8:46 AM PST
    Monsoon season starts here about the middle of February, and finishes about the start of February, give or take a week.
    • 0 posts
    January 21, 2010 9:48 AM PST
    At least here in the NW we get a couple of months of decent weather. The other 10 are overcast and misting, with occasional showers followed by rain, before going back to the misting. LOL
  • January 29, 2010 7:05 AM PST
    Looks like you've planned out a great little scoot across the country. my only suggestion is to see what you want in Montana and then drop south through Yellowstone and head east across the Beartooth Highway (11000 ft) and then into South Dakota. as Rex the Road Dog said snow is a possibility in September but the last time i was on the Beartooth it was the first week in Sept. and all was well.
    • 0 posts
    February 1, 2010 3:56 PM PST
    Thank you Cactus.
    I love the road and have been there before. The only reason I am not doing it this time is because it will add a full day to the trip and I am coming back that way from the Black Hills in June.
  • February 4, 2010 1:24 AM PST
    Your Fl. plan looks okay, down the east side, up the west, word of caution, rush hour traffic anywhere near Jax.,  Daytona and south of West Palm Beach suck's, be on your toes or try to plan better hours if possible.
  • February 4, 2010 2:04 AM PST
    Too much super slab on that route stick to the secondaries that's where you are going to find America. I drive truck for a living and used to run 48. I have always wanted to just park the truck for a few months and just roam America on the backroads because I never had time to stop in the truck. These days because of work constraints I stay with in about 600mi of home on the bike.
    • 0 posts
    February 4, 2010 9:41 AM PST
    Thanks Flatlander, I plan to avoid rush hour around any big town if at all possible. Worst case the GPS can show me the surface streets that I can use to avoid the hwy's. I have become pretty good at it.

IrishmanOhio, I don't really want to run the hwy's as much as I am, but I have to because of time restraints. I only have 3 weeks to do this. That is why I posted up here, to see if there are any routes that are close by where I am going that will get me where I need to go within a reasonable amount of time. Thanks!