Situational Awareness

• February 18, 2015 1:33 AM PST
     It's snowing and I 'm stuck inside so I would like to take this time and talk about a subject everyone needs to be aware of...."Situational Awareness"!
    This term basically means: Paying Attention to what is going on around you by scanning the environment, sensing danger, challenges and opportunities while maintaining the ability to conduct normal activities.
    This world is becoming more dangerous every day, and while some don't like the throught of having guns around then in order to provent the need for a gun one must learn the art of Situational Awareness.
    In 2012 421,000 drivers were injured due to distractions, 3,328 were killed.
    Here are the 5 levels of Situational Awareness while driving"
    (1) Tuned Out: Daydreaming, texting etc
    (2) Relaxed Awareness: Your pretty much aware what is happing around you
    (3) Focused Awareness: Driving in a rain storm in heavy traffic
    (4) High Alert: Things are going on very quickly, your having an adrenaline rush
    (5) Comatose: You may freeze up and cannot respond to stimuli. Your brain ceases to process important information
    How to avoid becoming attacked in a parking lot.
    * Stay Off your cell phone while walking to your car
    * Have your car keys in your hand
    * Get in and LOCK the car
    * If you have a Child to put in the back seat keep looking over your shoulder........we call this checking your 6 oclock...or check 6...You can be pushed into your car in less than 4 seconds, now you become a hostage.
    * Watch people around you, don't walk looking at the ground
    Be aware while eating at a restaurant by watching people. Look for:
    * Body Language
    * Eyes
    * tone and volume of someone's voice
    * Things that just don't seem right......someone with a long coat on during summer
    * Arguments between people
    * Weapon printing......able to see the outling of a gun under a shirt
    * Someone sweating a lot
    Be aware while in a mall or a park or any where people gather
    * Listen to your gut feeling.......If something just doesn't feel right or looks right
    * Be a hard target not a solf target.....Hard Target : someone who looks like they are aware of their surroungings    Solf Target: someone who looks down when they walk not aware of anything, on their phone...etc.

These are but a few ideas of what Situational Awareness is, and to become efficient you have to pratice all the time, and it can be wearing on your mind.
    When I was working as a Personal Protection Officer in Texas I was not the huge mean looking Body Guard some believe all Body Guards look like. I had to rely on my skills with Situational Awareness to protect my client, and I never had a problem.
    We can't all carry guns for different reasons, but we can all become effiicient at learning the art of "Situational Awareness"!
    Hope maybe this has some of you thinking about the envirement we live in and how to protect yourself and your family.

Anyone that woulld like add to this list of methods of being aware of your surroundings please do so.
    Be safe
    Night Dragon

• February 18, 2015 2:12 AM PST
    Good article Dragon. If I may add a few.....after 22 yrs as a Paratrooper, in Special Operations, and as a Survival Instructor, being aware of my surroundings is second nature. My wife is always amazed at the things I bring up when we're out and about. I do not suggest living in a constant state of paranoia, but vigilance is a key factor of being safe. When driving, constantly checking your mirrors, your left and right, and making a mental note of those around you could play a key factor in the out-come of your day. Ladies, when parking at a mall or large lot stay alert as to whom or what you are parking next to. Never park next to a van on the sliding door side. Watch people in crowds, especially someone who is constantly searching about, stopping often and looking about, bulky clothing , carrying a bag....watch if they suddenly deposit a bag or parcel and leave it hurriedly. Unfortunately, the world we now live in is a very dangerous place....your imagination is the key to your survival. Stay alert, stay alive.....
    • 1855 posts
    February 18, 2015 2:58 AM PST
    I do my best for all too often things happen in a split second. In restaurants I sit facing the entrance and near an emergency exit should my family need to get out quickly. I do NOT react adversely to idiots on the road or enable further aggression when driving. It's best to back off or exit than to confront an idiot; even though there exist a temptation to challenge. I get gas at the pump furthest from the road or gas station entrance hopefully to be out of harm's way of a reckless driver. I use drive up ATM's as opposed to walk ups. I leave an escape route between me and the vehicle ahead of me at a stop sign or stop light and constantly check my 6. I have a CCW and I take advantage of it by carrying every where I go. When I'm home and outside in my yard my sidearm is visible. And even though my dog isn't mean I let her out the door as soon as someone approaches the house. She's a dog after all and though gentle she is at first sight intimidating. I agree with all you and mac117 posted ND. I hope everyone who reads these posts pass along the info.

Peace
  • February 18, 2015 4:14 AM PST
    Thanks Mac and Jimmy for your input, great additional information. I have not thought about the gas pump location. Thanks. Good one Mac about parking along side a van on the door side.......Spot On Guys.
    ND
    • 1 posts
    February 18, 2015 10:29 PM PST
    Thanks guys for the reminder. I have taken serval classes in selfdefense and one of the first things they teach is be aware of your surroundings ALWAYS! As a person who knows that I look like a easy target walking down the street Etc. I want to prepare in any way I can to avoid a bad situation. Want to add that I know most people do not look around there car before getting in but a slashed tire on a back road could be very dangerous. I try to always do a quick walk around the car before I leave a place.
    • 9 posts
    March 16, 2015 2:27 AM PDT
    I am so WITH you on this post Kenny.

As a rape victim (@ age 15) I learned in a hurry why self-defense, starts with a personal "offense", if you will.

I'm not hyper-vigilant, but I'm always "on duty" when I'm out and about.

We all must be aware of our surroundings. This ain't the world we grew up in, any longer.

LADIES? As the "weaker" human being, we MUST have an OFFENSIVE STRATEGY.
    Make a plan, put it into practice, and don't be a VICTIM.

Like Kenny said. BE A HARD TARGET.
    Take yourself off of THAT GUY'S list. K?

And Guys....while your lookin' at your phone's OR ogling the HOT chicks,
    "buddy" just snuck up on you, too...

Let's all watch each other's backs.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • March 16, 2015 7:49 AM PDT
    Great info and keep adding more. Also being prior and now a retired veteran, here are my inputs: best time to escape is when you're first being abducted. Fight back with everything the Good Lord gave you. As much energy you place in screaming for help put that same amount and more into saving your life. Also, when possible never sit with your back to the door whether in a Starbucks, restaurant etc. Stay safe everyone and God bless!

Diceman
    • 3006 posts
    March 18, 2015 4:45 AM PDT
    The most important aspect of this in my opinion is the awareness part.Being a rider I believe we all share a certain level of raised awareness or we wouldn't be riding for very long.

Never fall into the trap that a weapon somehow makes you invulnerable either. It is only as useful as the person who wields it.The best defense is staying aware of whats going on around you.
  • April 15, 2015 10:59 AM PDT
     Great list and a genuine " Thank you"  for you to Nightdragon, Mac, Jummyacorn and the Diceman for your Service in protecting our freedom.

I allways enjoy Nightdragon's posts and comments.  When it hits the fan, it's usually a suprise. Great suggestions. I also agree that the PC pussification of the public school system is creating future problems.  Around here, the kids are exposed to dirt bikes, cattle ranching, equipment, fishing, hunting and fixing whatever is broken. 

Myself, I've been a civilian Engineer, both Civil and Mechanical for the DOE, Army, and Airforce.  Dealing with the headaches that keep things working, safe, secure and operational.  
    • 9 posts
    April 17, 2015 1:08 PM PDT
    Thanks Kenny. This may be the wake-up call for some, who haven't "really thought about it", before.

This isn't the same world, and the sooner we understand that, the safer we all become.

Don't think, anyone else in this world "has your six" either.
    Many a person has died, while others stood by and did NOTHING.

BE AWARE. K?

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • April 18, 2015 12:23 PM PDT
    Some of you might have remember the patches I gave out several years ago........"Bikers for a Safer Society"!
    Protect your Brothers and Sisters......Like Tweek said the world as we know it ......"has become very dangerous"!!
    Be safe all
    Night Dragon
    • 9 posts
    April 18, 2015 2:30 PM PDT
     Proudly worn on this cut, for two years, and counting on May  4th.

You sent me that patch, about 4 years ago, and I kept it safe, til I had the cut, I would be proud, to wear it on!
    Thanks, Kenny!

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 16831 posts
    April 19, 2015 6:09 AM PDT
    We must teach the children hunting and gathering, fight or flight, how to survive bad situations.
    The schools with their "everybody wins" and P.C. garbage this generation will be like "deer in the headlights" if something goes down.
    • 834 posts
    April 19, 2015 12:07 PM PDT
    Good post ND? We can all use a reminder to keep aware!