Sturgis 2015..75th Anniversary

• 467 posts
    January 6, 2015 2:59 AM PST
    Make a list! I like to start riding a bit later in the day than most. If I leave camp around 11 am, most people are already settling in for the day of hard partying. LOL!
  • January 6, 2015 4:14 AM PST
    Great idea! I'm usually an early raiser, but I can see the advantages of a later start. I will be staying at the Lamphere campground.....which,looking at Google maps seems to be a few miles from downtown Sturgis. ALSO- i have been to Mt Rushmore Crazy Horse,Deadwood.......is there anywhere that I shounld not miss?
    Peace
    • 1855 posts
    January 6, 2015 6:42 AM PST
    Dontstop wrote...
    Great idea! I'm usually an early raiser, but I can see the advantages of a later start. I will be staying at the Lamphere campground.....which,looking at Google maps seems to be a few miles from downtown Sturgis. ALSO- i have been to Mt Rushmore Crazy Horse,Deadwood.......is there anywhere that I shounld not miss?
    Peace

Wow!!! Is that as close as you could get?   I couldn't even begin to tell you of other sites to see. Seems a far piece to travel to get back by nightfall to me.  And getting a "later" start is going to cut your time frame down considerably.   Bear Butte State park is close and a nice ride.  Highway 34 west out of Sturgis is some damn pretty country.  If you can get down to Hot Springs about 80 miles south of Sturgis on 385 there's an active archaelogical dig there.  Wish I could tell you more. 

Peace

• 10 posts
    January 6, 2015 10:40 AM PST
    Looks like No Name Campground is open year round. Only a few are open after the rally. I'll have to see how the year goes for me. In 2010 I arrived the week before rally week and stayed to the end. I would like to ride around more and see things. With all the traffic it was difficult.
    • 467 posts
    January 7, 2015 3:09 AM PST
    Lamphere is right across the street from Glencoe. They were both a part of the same ranch. They are 4 miles from Main Street, less than a mile from Full Throttle and Buffalo Chip. There are shuttles to and from downtown and concerts. It is beautiful land with LOTS of trees and grass. Going out to Bear Butte, you can stop at the Dragpipe Saloon or Broken Spoke, you can continue 79 out to Hwy 212 and go to the historic Stone House Saloon or keep going on to Belle Fourche to see the geographical center of the nation. From there you can go into Spearfish or continue on 212 to Alzada MT. Or even take Hwy 34 to Historic Alladin WY. This route will continue on to Devil's Tower and Hulett (where they have the famous Ham N Jam on Wednesday during the rally). Coming back from Aladdin, you can take Hwy 111 to the service road over to Beulah where they have street drags on Wednesday or go the other direction in to Sundance where they have burnout contests on Wednesday after noon. From there you can take the service road back Whitewood road that will lead you back to Sturgis via beautiful country. Or you can go through Deadwood and take 385 back up past Boondocks to Nemo road to Van Ocker Canyon that leads back into Sturgis on Junction Ave. All beautiful roads and scenery. These are just to name a few.
    • 467 posts
    January 7, 2015 3:14 AM PST
    Don't forget Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway, Hill City, Keystone, a cave or two and a couple tourist traps like Bear Country or Reptile Gardens!
    • 1855 posts
    January 7, 2015 7:14 AM PST
    I guess I didn't realize Lampere was that close. It seemed like miles away.

Peace
    • 10 posts
    January 7, 2015 10:37 AM PST
    I rode the pan from Chicago to Sturgis and stayed at Shade Valley in 2010. That is 20 min.@ 60mph east of Glencoe. I rode to Deadwood, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower. It was too crowded on the road by that time of the week to ride more. That is why I am looking at going after rally week. Last time I had a tent. The next time I am going to have a lean-to over the bike. I was thinking of staying at Glencoe a couple nights ... then going somewhere else after the rally week finished.
    • 10 posts
    January 7, 2015 10:41 AM PST
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Dontstop wrote...
    Peace

Wow!!! Is that as close as you could get?   I couldn't even begin to tell you of other sites to see. Seems a far piece to travel to get back by nightfall to me.  And getting a "later" start is going to cut your time frame down considerably.   Bear Butte State park is close and a nice ride.  Highway 34 west out of Sturgis is some damn pretty country.  If you can get down to Hot Springs about 80 miles south of Sturgis on 385 there's an active archaelogical dig there.  Wish I could tell you more. 

Peace

I agree with having an early start. 

• July 15, 2015 7:39 AM PDT
    My other two riders had to back out but im still going ,,,has anyone stayed at Irinhorse campground ?thats where im stayin.Also coming from AZ so any good suggestions for a good overnight place in Wyoming??
    • 467 posts
    July 20, 2015 2:30 AM PDT
    Depending on the route you are taking from AZ, I would stay somewhere around Flaming Gorge. If you want to make it a more scenic trip, stick to the West side of Wyoming up to Yellowstone and come over the Bighorns to Gillette. Then you only have a bit of boring ride from Gillette to Sturgis. Or if you are in a hurry, you can take I80 from the Gorge to Cheyenne and hop on US85 all the way to Sturgis. (I25 is really boring, but 85N is a bit better scenery.
    • 1364 posts
    July 21, 2015 5:24 AM PDT
     A little Sturgis info

• July 24, 2015 2:36 AM PDT

Motorcycle Charity Associates Present Media Day for The ONE Ride Benefit Dinner and Def Leppard Concert in Sturgis, South Dakota - August 7, 2015

The ONE Ride – one man’s journey to the four corners of America - 14,000 miles of Giving benefits five charities; four deal with families facing cancer and one helps military families with the aftermath of war.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/07/prweb12862972.htm />
    http://www.Fun-Cycle.org ;
  • July 26, 2015 2:23 PM PDT
    Thx for the info cnciacos.......will do!!!
    • 58 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:39 PM PDT
    highrisk wrote...
     A little Sturgis info

Both feet?  Really?  So they are saying the the National Motorcycle Safety Foundation is wrong?  MSF teaches left foot down, right on the brake.  
  • August 2, 2015 6:08 AM PDT
    hey were out at the spur campground tattooing,,, yall give us a shout, 3086278362
    • 467 posts
    August 9, 2015 2:51 PM PDT
    Badluck31, I hope you made it to the Rally safe and are at least home bound! We had a good time at camp, wish we could have met up!
  • August 19, 2015 2:11 PM PDT
    Spent the last 2 weeks there. Was our first time. I'm a disabled veteran and amputee. Thankful for my friends from North Carolina. Helped me adapt my bike to carry my wheelchair. Stayed at the Spur Campground (Jackiedavidsontattoo) mostly likely had seen me come and go. Custom 2010 Canam Spyder RS-loudest pipes in the whole camp.Did all the sights (mount rushmore,devils tower,buffalo Chip,etc) The traffic was more than i had anticipated-bumper to bumper bikes,no matter the destination you were traveling to. Had one disappointment, took awhile for us to get to Mt.Rushhmore-the park was collecting $11.00 a bike to enter.Here is the rip,this is a national park.A normal day,they would collect $11.00 for a car. Here comes the rip to the bikers,$11.00 per bike and 4 bikes per parking space.You do the math. The handicap elevators were not working-had to wheel around the entrance on a side walk,that zigged and zagged-until you reached the top.Overall, it was a great experience. No observed problems with the 1% groups. Made my reservations for next year. Would like to hear from others that may have gone and their experiences