Evaporative Clothing ?

• 3006 posts
    July 25, 2014 5:19 AM PDT
    Does it really work? Anyone have any experience using this cool down clothing for hot weather riding?

I just dress in light layers for a long ride thru hot temps yet when I know the mercury is in the 90's I will ride after dark to avoid the worst heat.
    From what I have read on other threads, it looks like everyone has different tricks for keeping cool on a long ride.Which is why the thought of clothes that actually keep one cooler in extreme heat would be nice.The closet thing I have is a mesh riding jacket which is good yet over 90' and I want to chuck it.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 5417 posts
    July 25, 2014 6:45 AM PDT
    I have tried lots of the products to keep you cool, some work, some don't.

I still find the best method is to keep a bottle of water in reach with a squirt top on it. I wear a long sleeve white t-shirt and when I get hot I wet the sleeves and chest. The evaporation of the water as the wind hits it will cool you down fast. I have actually had my arms almost get numb riding at 70 mph in 100° weather with my shirt wet.
    • 3006 posts
    July 26, 2014 6:40 AM PDT
    I may end up just soaking a shirt,not sure if I want to spend the 20$ on trying out the new cool down shirts I seen for sale locally at Cyclegear.I have also seen some commercials on a Duluth Trading Co shirt that supposedly keeps ya cool. We have another day in the low 90's here,it would be nice to have something that actually did keep a rider cool in extreme heat.
  • July 26, 2014 8:26 AM PDT
    As a lady rider its not fun to drench a light weight white shirt and not expect to get unwanted attention.....just saying it turns into wet t-shirt contest...Going to stick with my frog togg cooling cloths cut into scarf strips....The hotter it gets they seem to get colder and don't get slimmy like the gel cool collars.....also don't dry out fast.
  • July 28, 2014 12:01 PM PDT
    I have a cool vest that I use when the weather gets really hot. Just wet it and put it on under my riding vest. The evaporation helps cool.