High Performance?

• March 12, 2014 10:48 AM PDT

So I think I'm going to have to do a head job on my shovel. I believe my rocker bushings are worn. so I'm thumbing through J&Ps online catalog looking and I see high performance roller rockers for $$$$$$$ but I start to think how high performance can they really be, when they still use bushings instead of bearings where it really counts for smooth operation like a true roller rocker system. I'm sticking with the standard stuff. I have no need for speed just like cruising.  I mean Harleys are by no means a high performance bike, a 500cc crotch rocket can out run a Harley. My CR480 had more HP on 240lb than my 700lb Harley. While I have it down I'll probably put rings in it as well

• March 12, 2014 8:01 PM PDT
    Your absolutely right! If your just out for cruising then there really is no need to spend the extra money for high performance parts.
  • March 15, 2014 12:44 AM PDT
    Love listening to guys at the Harley Stealerships talking about getting their stage ones done and how much better their bikes run......what, about $2000 to get anywhere from 4-8 hp (depending on set-up). If your ass can tell the difference in a four hp gain...you da man.! Ridden and owned Harleys my entire riding life 30+ years and they are what they are...cruisers! I've also had built up track bikes pushing 185 to the rear wheel. Enjoy your bikes for what they are! If you want to spend for the stage one, be honest about it... the bike runs cooler, better on the valves (not running lean per EPA) and you can get more growl with the pipes....
    Good luck on the top end aqua.... miss my ole shovel for sure! alway looking for a 74 74.

Trippin
    • 16849 posts
    March 15, 2014 5:28 AM PDT
    I've always been one that found more power around my garage.
    Porting & polishing, drilling jets, adding another spark plug, building pipes, changing sprockets, changing the air cleaner, and so forth.
    Now that I'm older I've moved from crazy to eccentric. :-)
  • March 15, 2014 6:38 AM PDT
    Like Trippin said $$$$$$$ for 4 or 5hp? I guess so if you're already maxed out on the track and looking for a couple more hp and have unlimited funds. Just because it says high performance or is a name brand doesn't make it better. you need to consider price per horse per what kind of riding you really do. unless you build for how you ride you could lose performance by putting the wrong performance parts in
  • March 15, 2014 6:41 AM PDT
    And it looks like I'll be rebuilding sooner than later. My rocker boxes started dripping oil today. I mean drip drip drip