any know anything about ohio bike week

• March 3, 2014 11:39 PM PST
     I am thinking about going to ohio bike week,  but there isn't much info on their website. Has anyone else gone in the past? Can anyone tell me more about it? 
    • 1855 posts
    March 4, 2014 5:02 AM PST
    What do you want to know? You use to be able to have an open container on the strip. That's so cops can watch you. Don't know if that's true or not now. Public intox gets you the night in jail if you don't have someone to take care of you. There's one way in and one way out and Ohio State Troopers sit in wait. I don't drink and ride but if you do then you'll probably get busted. The bars are a helluva lot of fun. The music is good. It's just another bike week dude. http://ohiobikeweek.com/#! />
    Peace
  • March 4, 2014 5:49 AM PST
    I was just surprised when I visited the website. ..not a lot of info there. I have been to sturgis before and expected more info like you find on that website. Maps about scenic rides and a schedule of activities for the week.
    • 1855 posts
    March 4, 2014 8:25 AM PST
    Click on the all access pass area and you'll see what's going on. As for scenic rides; there's not a damn scenic ride to be found anywhere in Ohio unless you do southeastern Ohio along the river. The most scenic ride up in Sandusky is Barrett Road across the Bay and that's about it. That's about the size of it and from what I know, people from out of state don't attend Ohio Bike Week in Sandusky. Maybe a few from southern Michigan. Personally, if you don't live near by it's really not worth it.
    Peace
  • March 5, 2014 5:41 PM PST
    We have been going there for several years now. We used to do the campground at the fairgrounds until there were some disagreements. So we moved out to Margaritaville on Rt 6 west of Sandusky. There is a real nice campground south of State Route 2 that is real nice, but that was a few years ago. Two brothers owned it. Like Jimmyacorn said, you can find out ride info on their link to All Access Pass. They go to the Islands by ferry for the day. Roderer's Speed shop (they used to have the HD dealership in Sandusky also) has a parade from their place into town that is interesting if you are into that. People in the country have family and friends over and cheer us on as we head to downtown. They stage you in a corn field and the bikes are usually 7 or 8 rows wide and when we went, we were in the middle and couldn't see the front nor the back, lots of bikes. Fun once or twice. Marblehead and Catawba Island (which you can get to by bridges) are nice.
    There is a really good place west of Margaritaville that has the best lake perch and hand cut fries. The HD dealership in town has a lot of vendors and the 2nd weekend downtown is packed. But, of all the places, I think that Margaritaville is the happening spot. They have a few vendors and their outdoor deck and waterfall is superb. Great bands lots of bikes; eye-candy.
    Wednesday of that same week, ABATE of Michigan has their Freedom Rally in Lansing so we always ride up there to support them. Esp now that they have freedom of choice. Kind of breaks up the week for us.
    So 10 days for OBW, almost too much. They really should shorten it to say, Thurs thru Sun instead of burning everyone out that has to pay room and board for 10 with low customer support through the week. And the past few years, it has spread to Toledo and Cleveland. If you have never been there, it's worth the trip at least once. I don't know where you are from, but I'm in Ohio, so . . .
    If you are looking for something Ohio, and lake, I would suggest Geneva-on-the-Lake. They have a nice state park for camping with beach across the street or a really nice lodge if you are into that. But the town is quaint, good for a couple of days and a few good sunsets. Erie is not too far from there with Presque Isle nearby with nice beaches. Enjoy the summer, let me know your opinion if you go to OBW. Just keep in mind: it is not Daytona and it is not Sturgis!
  • March 5, 2014 11:07 PM PST
    Thank you. .most helpful