New Girl from RI with Newbie questions...

• April 11, 2013 6:22 AM PDT
    Hi everyone! I'm from RI and just bought my first bike, it's a 2012 Suzuki TU250x, and I am also just taking my MFS saftey course.  Last night was the first range class and I got to drive a bike for the first time in my life! I did pretty well but I am really scared  for when I take my bike home.  I'm afraid that the safety course alone won't be enough for me to feel comfortable driving around... what are your experiences with your first ride?  Any advice for a timid newbie?  Thanks in advance! <3
    • 16798 posts
    April 11, 2013 6:35 AM PDT
    Have someone else ride it to your home, find a local place like a school parking lot, and on the weekends practice there until you feel safe to hit the road.
    • 19007 posts
    April 11, 2013 6:48 AM PDT
    Exactly what Rev Said!!

and...Welcome to CycleFish from the ‘at large’ member to the best Damn family biker site on this here web thing.
  • April 11, 2013 7:09 AM PDT
    practice everything they teach you over and over, as often as you can....then one day ride it out of the parking lot and just keep going!.....silly grin and all!
  • April 11, 2013 7:15 AM PDT
    The Rev is right. Get familiar with it before you get into traffic. Practice hard stops and evasive maneuvers. It's not always the brake that keeps you from getting hurt. Sometimes jumping on the throttle is the best way to get out of peril.
    I grew up riding in the dirt and was always testing my limits (exceeded them alot of the time). Take it out in dirt or gravel and try locking the rear end up. Spinning the back tire. But little steps to start with and remember that getting on the front brake too hard in loose material can put you on the ground quick.
    Just take your time and dont let anyone rush you into something you're not comfortable with. Also get some hydrogen peroxide, neosporin and a wide selection of bandages....... just kidding...have fun and welcome to the world of motorcycles...your life will never be the same.
    • 846 posts
    April 11, 2013 8:03 AM PDT
    Rev is correct have someone that has ridden for a while ride the bike home. Parking lots are great starting spot to practice another one is cemeteries as another option. Not to sound morbid but larger ones have roads with intersection in them so you can practice stop at an intersection without traffic. practice practice practice.

But remember the most important part have fun and enjoy. Welcome to the world of two wheels
  • April 11, 2013 8:21 AM PDT
    That last tip from Chaz about riding in larger cemeteries is very good info ... not sure what you have near you but here on Long Island we have Calverton National Cemetery, it is huge and has loads of roads with stops and turns. The one thing to consider though is there is generally a lot of wildlife also so don't go at dusk.

One other tip I'd suggest, if you have friends who ride and are supportive of your desire to learn ... always ride with them if possible. (You probably have to anyway until you pass your test). If you ride with others and they ride too fast for you DO NOT try to keep up ... never ride outside your comfort zone.
  • April 11, 2013 2:29 PM PDT
    Thanks everyone for the input, I'm having it trailored to my house and there is a huge parking lot down the street that's always empty(it's only used by the Knights of Columbus for meetings once a week) so I'll have a great spot to practice basic stuff from the safety course I'm in. And the cemetery tip, yes...sounds a bit morbid but there's also one less than a mile away I can go to. I am sooooo so excited, I'm 24 and I think this has got to be the most exciting thing I've ever done.  Any advice for going up and down hills? I live in the middle of nowhere in the stix, and there are big hills up and down everywhere.
  • April 11, 2013 11:41 PM PDT
    On hills....once you decide to go, keep going to the top, dont stop half way up cause then you'll be in an awkward position and gravity is a greater influence..... dont stop until you are on the top......years ago I had a little 90cc bike and was out dirt biking with some friends... they all had Elsinores and such...well they climbed this dam where we rode and I figured i could too so up I went....loosing power all the way up, getting slower and slower...... I got about 10' from the top and the bike died. There I was on a STEEP hill....holding the brake, looking over my shoulder at the 100' backwards roll i was about to experience.... if they hadnt been there to grab the bars and front end and pull me up I would have been screwed......
    On the cemetery.... the only thing about cemeteries is they are full of granite stones with sharp edges! If you run out of the road and strike one, well... Again back when I was 12 iwas riding a go-kart in a cemetery that had roads where I could wind it out. I went into a turn too fast, slid out the road and hit a stone...fortunately it was a foot stone and not a real big one. When the kart folded up and I left the seat I struck the steering wheel and lost 6 teeth right there on the ground...roots and all..... so if u do try it...stay slow...... good luck!
  • April 11, 2013 11:47 PM PDT
    Thanks Springer
    • 11 posts
    April 12, 2013 4:25 AM PDT
    Hi, MaidenMud, and Welcome to this Cyclefish.

So, are you up near Woonsocket or out west of Narragansett or west of North Scituate. While attaining my first college degree, I spent almost every other weekend in RI and then lived there for 3 years.
  • April 18, 2013 12:23 PM PDT
    I spend a lot of time in the Burrillville/Glocester area, mostly northern RI.
  • April 18, 2013 1:01 PM PDT
    Hey lady, just get yourself comfortable and then the rest will come easy. It reminds me of when I first started flying small airplanes, I would be up there with my instructor and have a feeling like I wasn't going to be able to do this and started to question myself. Then one day while doing some required training maneuvers, I just got the feeling that I was in control of the plane and my confidence grew from that day on, and then I would fly solo often with no doubt at all. I think confidence is very important. you must believe that you will handle anything that might come up and that riding scared would be a bad thing. With the proper training, I think that you will do fine bringing your own bike home and that it would be a confidence booster for you.
  • April 20, 2013 8:14 AM PDT
    Thanks alsflhr, I brought my bike home Thursday and have taken it out every day since. I was so scared the first time out of the driveway, and then after about an hour I got the "I was in control" of it feeling your talking about. I have been practicing in a parking lot, then got bored and went all over town on the back roads. Today I went with a friend and we went further and faster than I ever have and my confidence is 100% better than it was. Now I just need to work on not stalling at stop signs.,. overall though I'm doing pretty well and I am so glad I decided to start riding.
  • April 20, 2013 9:12 AM PDT
    Congrats......keep practicing and welcome to the wind, it's a great family to be in!
    • 19007 posts
    April 21, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
    This is great! Many happy miles ahead I see for you.
  • April 21, 2013 9:49 AM PDT
    MaidenMud wrote...
    Thanks alsflhr, I brought my bike home Thursday and have taken it out every day since. I was so scared the first time out of the driveway, and then after about an hour I got the "I was in control" of it feeling your talking about. I have been practicing in a parking lot, then got bored and went all over town on the back roads. Today I went with a friend and we went further and faster than I ever have and my confidence is 100% better than it was. Now I just need to work on not stalling at stop signs.,. overall though I'm doing pretty well and I am so glad I decided to start riding.

Good girl. Now just be sure not to pick up bad habits  and don't let anybody intimidate you or get you to do anything your not comfy with.
    remember experience and confidence are your friends.
    Now ride every day and just you will get better and better..............................
    • 57 posts
    April 24, 2013 6:09 AM PDT
    I took my test a year ago and wasn't completely confident in my abilities either,you just need to get on and ride ,the confidence will come and remember no one see you,go at your own pace.
  • April 24, 2013 6:37 AM PDT
    and I bet you're still smiling......
  • April 24, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
    I'm not sure I remember my first ride by myself, I know I was about 10 and rode the heck out of my little Honda 125! Moved on to YZ180, then Sportster and my first VW trike. Long story short I had a bike of my own off and on til I was 25. Then along came my son and I decided to give it up (on my own that is) still rode back seat all these years. But promised myself that eventually I would ride solo again! Just bought my trike a month ago. So I feel your nervousness! I was scared the first evening I took her out. My old man following me on his didn't help matters at all! But once I pulled away from the clubhouse on my own......while still a little nervous, a calm seemed to come over me! I rode round and round in our little town. Practicing the stopping, practicing the turns. Main issue I had was getting used to my suicide shift all over again! Surprise! It all came back to me! We rode the countryside here, traveling a little farther each time. Within a week I took off on my own for a 60 mile PGR funeral procession. Sad occasion but very empowering! My main advice here is don't let anyone rush you! You'll be ready to hit the highways when YOU are comfortable. Don't let the nerves get to you and take your time. But mostly, don't get so wrapped up in the fear of screwing up, that you forget to enjoy the ride! Best of luck to you!
    • 2 posts
    April 24, 2013 1:34 PM PDT
    All the above advice is sound.
    ALSO
    Make friends with your bicycle. - Don't have a bicycle? Get one, a real road bicycle, not a balloon tire, faux "mountain bike".
  • April 24, 2013 2:42 PM PDT
    Pay attention to everything in the safety course. Learn to look out for what's at intersections and be prepared just in case at all times. I remember my first ride. Get someone to ride your bike to an empty parking lot, or stay on empty streets until you feel comfortable. Above all, enjoy it. Best wishes girl and welcome to something that once it gets in your blood will remain forever more.
  • April 26, 2013 3:46 AM PDT
    MaidenMud wrote...
    Hi everyone! I'm from RI and just bought my first bike, it's a 2012 Suzuki TU250x, and I am also just taking my MFS saftey course.  Last night was the first range class and I got to drive a bike for the first time in my life! I did pretty well but I am really scared  for when I take my bike home.  I'm afraid that the safety course alone won't be enough for me to feel comfortable driving around... what are your experiences with your first ride?  Any advice for a timid newbie?  Thanks in advance! <3

Welcome Aboard from North NJ !!!  Lots of real good input already.  My input is to always watch out for #1, you.  A lot of motorists do not see us no matter how loud, how lit up we are.  Defensive riding is the way to go.

One of the best quotes above is to go with other experienced riders.  I have always found that 75% of riders will always be helpful, just ask.

I am 61, and I still get scared the way other drivers really do not seem to care we are out there and the road is ours as much as theirs.

Take it slow, wear the protective gear, and enjoy the ride.

Richie  aka DocLubo
    • 1855 posts
    April 26, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
    Sorry I'm late; welcome from w central Ohio

Peace
    • 44 posts
    April 26, 2013 12:56 PM PDT
    Remember the Paint nevers dries!! when you ride in a group choose a lane A or C and watch out for others in the cage they DO NOT SEE YOU!!! I can not tell you that enough most of all Welcome to the Family