Squeaky Brakes - Make it Stop

• 834 posts
    November 14, 2012 2:33 AM PST
    I put new pads on the front brakes a couple of months back and they work great, but they squeak like hell every time I stop.  It is an even steady squeak, but it's driving me crazy.

I have cleaned the disc and even taken the pads back off and inspected them, they look fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the squeaking?

• November 14, 2012 4:12 AM PST
    If rotor is not warped and/or scored, check how the pad hits the rotor. make sure it is hitting the entire surfsce of pad against the rotor. Meaning the whole pad hits the rotor with equal pressure rather than one end harder than the other.  Make sure pad assembly is not off canter/tilted.  Just some thoughts. 
    • 844 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:26 AM PST
    For some reason brake pads just do that sometimes. I have had new brake pads the squeaked for the first 1000 miles and others the entire time they were on.

I have seen in auto parts stores a spay that is supposed to eliminate break squeak. Never tried it so I'm not sure if it works.
    • 19007 posts
    November 14, 2012 11:37 PM PST
     Here are two links regarding this. Although these are for cars the physics are the same...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4317748 />
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-problems/brakes-squeaking.htm type="_moz" />
  • November 15, 2012 7:16 AM PST
    I always spray the back of the pads with brake quiet. It looks like blue spray paint. just make sure you let it dry all the way before putting them on the bike. I had this same problem on a bike years ago and my buddy the mechanic measured my rotors and found that they were worn out and were too thin to be serviceable, I had about 50k on the bike at the time.
    • 5419 posts
    November 20, 2012 3:15 AM PST
    My brakes have been a little noisy since the last change too. May have to try that brake quit that wheels mentioned.

I have always been skeptical about spraying anything on the face of the pads... So I stay away from those
  • November 22, 2012 1:03 PM PST
    Hey Lucky,I believe ya spray the back of the pads,the metal. but it does work,or at least it has for me
  • November 23, 2012 12:21 AM PST
    I am surprised at you.....ever heard of "Copper slip grease"?

its particles of copper in grease, you slap a generous portion on the metal side of your brake pads, you do this EVERY time you change your brakes...You also add it to the retaining bolts/pins/slides and every threaded part that is exposed to weather...

Motorcycles, cars, trucks, vans, big rigs, aircraft.....if it has located brake pads you "Copper slip grease" them.....!!!!! 

Examples : (read the uses!!!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPER-SLIP-GREASE-70G-TUBE-/230385921874 />
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_ /> productId_189950_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

I use "Copper Slip Grease" for almost EVERYTHING Automotive!!!

Right from the back plates on brakes down to every nut and bolt I undo gets a coating before re-assembly...

EVERYTHING... 
    Exhaust pipe from seating to mounting brackets gets a coating...
    Door/hood/trunk Hinges on cars/trucks etc...
    Refitting body panels/bolts etc...
    EVERY gasket (except fuel gaskets and pre-coated) gets coated...
    When rebuilding V8's down to 125cc Car/Truck/Motorcycle engines/frames/body panels, EVERY nut and bolt gets coated before refitting...

ANYONE who works on their own vehicles should know this... 
    ANYONE who takes it to the shop and lets others work on the vehicle should go somewhere else if they DONT use it!!! 

Damn!  I hate it when I rant!!!
    But sometimes I just cant hold it in.....
    • 844 posts
    November 23, 2012 1:28 AM PST
    We use Copper Slip on lots of high temp applications on the job. I use it on the brake pad pins but never thought to try it on the back side of the pad. I'll give it a shot.

BTW - for those here in the US, you can pick it up at Harbor Frieght or Grainger.
  • November 23, 2012 1:42 AM PST
    I use it for EVERYTHING matey...Its one of those MUST HAVE's in any workshop....and along with 99Savage's "Dollar Store Dish Detergent" too...lol...

Use it on anything that is metal to metal...Even when fitting body panels on a vehicle, stops body vibration noise too, every point of contact when refitting gets an application of it, especially the bolts...

I buy the BIG pots of it, and even using a paintbrush to apply it I get some on my hands, my hands are ALWAYS garage dirty...lol...
    • 834 posts
    November 23, 2012 11:21 AM PST
    Well I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, just like there is more than one way to eliminate brake noise depending on who you ask.

I would up getting the Brake Quite that wheels recommended an took the pads out and applied it on Wed. Rode yesterday and today and no more noise.

Thanks for all the advice.