Electrical Problems

• September 18, 2012 12:46 PM PDT
    Went to start up my ride two days ago, would not start on the first two tries. It turned over but wouldn't start. On the third try smoke started pouring out of the left side cover and after taking off cover found negative battery terminal melted but not any wires. I have to order some gaskets so I can remove starter and check and put back together. The manual says to rem ove starter gears before removing starter. I was looking over the electrical system in manual and it mentions a clutch diode in starting circut and was thinking maybe if diode went bad it could send voltage to ground and short. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks JIM
  • September 18, 2012 3:10 PM PDT
    You are already way more advanced in electrical knowledge than anything I can offer. Electrical problems can be hard to specifically diagnose without the proper diagnostic equipment. I'd take it to a dealer mechanic.
    • 19007 posts
    September 18, 2012 11:43 PM PDT
    Not being familiar with your ride it is tough to say. A diode shorted can do that but it would have to be a very heavy duty diode to allow enough current to melt the a battery cable. More likely a shorted solenoid (if you have one), relay, or the starter motor itself. One other thing that puzzles me is you said neg battery terminal. Is that bike positive ground? If you melted the main ground there is something really weird going on. Definitely need a good schematic.
  • September 19, 2012 3:58 AM PDT
    I would check for a direct short from battery '+' to battery '-'.....its only main battery power that could short and burn a battery terminal.....I would start with the ignition switch/wires at back of it, and work through bit by bit...wire by wire from that .....

You said it cranks - unlikely to be starter motor - unlikely to be solanoid - cant rule them out but aint likely... Start with the ignition switch...

On back of ignition switch you have 3 wires that could cause the problem you described as battery terminal melted...

You said "my ride" ..... it would help to know what "your ride" actually is...if its one of these ultra modern everything controlled by module and computer then could be you screwed the module real bad, cooked it in fact...

But even with a brand new system the above info is the best starting point...

I am willing to bet you jet wash it all the time, and I am willing to bet the ignition switch is slightly loose or has twisted slightly and that why its crossed the wires behind it...

Just a guess from a Limey b'stard...
  • September 20, 2012 3:02 AM PDT
    Thanks for the replies. My Ride is a 1992 VT1100C Shadow. I am in the process of checking the wiring and relocating my rear directionals to put new saddlebags on.I never used a power wash on it only hand wash and wax.
    • 5419 posts
    November 9, 2012 8:55 AM PST
    Did you ever get this figured out?