ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

• 1855 posts
    May 14, 2012 9:29 AM PDT
    I can't believe I've been so inept lately.  I took care of the problem with carb filter cover; installed a new Arlen Ness back plate, filter, and cover.  I drain all the oil out of the bike.  I go to put the drain plug back in and damnit anyhow, I stripped the threads in the pan.  I've never done anything like that before and it's just another reason I hate working on bikes, cars, trucks, snowmobiles, 4-wheelers, etc.

Crap!!!  It's not like I'm retired and don't have anything else to do.  I'm retired and I have a lot of things to do that spell F-U-N.  These past few days haven't been the least bit fun.

So now I gotta drill the pan threads out and do the heli-coil thing.  I'll let ya know what else I screw up in a couple of days.

Peace
  • May 14, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
    Sounds like stuff I try to do around here, a 30 minute job turns into an all day adventure. I feel your pain.
  • May 14, 2012 9:58 AM PDT
    Guess I belong to the same club. "In a hurry, screw it up by not paying attention, then spending the rest of the afternoon trying to fix it." Then to top it off, I usually have a bloody knuckle or blister for my effort.
  • May 14, 2012 11:07 AM PDT
    Isn't that part of Murphy's Law ? Fix 2 break 1, or Fix 1 and 2 Break ?
    • 19046 posts
    May 14, 2012 11:17 AM PDT
    Done things like that myself a time or two...and I won't be askin ya to help me fix anything either...HA
    • 3006 posts
    May 14, 2012 2:10 PM PDT
    I feel your pain !! One time in a quest to fix something, that wasnt was supposed to be fixed,I broke it,and the bike sat for nearly 9 mo's till I had collected enuff money to replace the single most expensive part on my bike.All the advice given by good friends ignored,cause I am stupid like that !! Learned my lesson the hardest way possible.
    Just be patient and make sure to mentally review each n every step of the process before you git started tryin to fix the problem.and dont forget a small prayer wont hurt either : ) !!!
  • May 14, 2012 7:14 PM PDT
    Yeah NOTHING EVER goes as planned as I can personally attest too! Cripes, not long ago I was putting on a set of frikkin Vance and Hines Short Shots on a Dyna and it took me 2 hours, I had a brain fart of something, I can't explain it but buy the time I was done I wanted to have someone kick my ass for being worse than an amateur! Meanwhile, I can strip a carb, rebuild, rejet, reinstall and the bike fires up and actually runs better! *shakes heads* Some days I wish I had stood in bed!