2006 heritage soft tail

• 314 posts
    May 6, 2012 5:08 AM PDT
    My bike was completely dead this morning, jumped it and started up after a cple min. unhooked cables and it died. i am waiting on a charger. seems like its more than the battery, any ideas?
  • May 6, 2012 9:41 AM PDT
    Yeah you can check the alternator at the battery,first fully charge the battery(clean the connections while you are at it),then with a fully charged battery in the bike running at idle at the battery use a multi tester,good alternator should put out 13 or so volts,then when you rev it a little voltage should go up(wouldn't want it to be pushing more than 16 volts),if it's around 12 with no increase under power my uneducated guess is bad alternator(around 3 hrs. labor plus parts)
  • May 6, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
    Oh yeah if it's a gel battery no fast charge,they don't like that (I had one completely distort,got all hot,prolly lucky it didn't pop like a fat ol tick)trickle charge only, from my experience it was a costly deal because I was in a hurry.
    • 19043 posts
    May 6, 2012 10:33 AM PDT
    tourglide wrote...
    Oh yeah if it's a gel battery no fast charge,they don't like that (I had one completely distort,got all hot,prolly lucky it didn't pop like a fat ol tick)trickle charge only, from my experience it was a costly deal because I was in a hurry.

Yeah, what tourglide said. Same thing happened to me. Trickle charge and if it don't come back to life then most likely new battery time.

• May 6, 2012 12:32 PM PDT
    Paula if your battery is older than 3 years you might be needing a new. When Motorcycle Batteries go, they just go and recharging might get it to start but mid travels odd electrical stuff will happen.
    • 314 posts
    May 6, 2012 12:57 PM PDT
    battery is less than 2 yrs old. charger says its fully charged but yet wont start. i.m working on getting it to shop in morning
  • May 6, 2012 2:18 PM PDT
    do you have security system on it? Ya might also need new batteries in your fob...........if your fob's batteries are low to dead the bike won't sense it and it won't start, also if bike and fob codes are out of syn it won't start either. Simple things before ya drop the biggie big. have a great one! "T"
    • 314 posts
    May 6, 2012 10:55 PM PDT
    thanks everyone. never used the security on it but will check fob battery
    • 1855 posts
    May 7, 2012 5:41 AM PDT
    Funny thing about motorcycle batteries; once their done on the bike they seem to work another year in the riding mower. Go figure.

Peace
  • May 9, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
    break out the manual and do a test on the stator leads
    • 314 posts
    May 12, 2012 12:28 PM PDT
    it was only my battery, less than a yr old
  • May 14, 2012 11:10 AM PDT
    May want to investigate a battery tender,from my experience they greatly extend battery life.
    • 314 posts
    May 14, 2012 11:39 AM PDT
    tourglide wrote...
    May want to investigate a battery tender,from my experience they greatly extend battery life.
     I am going to get one. thanks for the help

• May 14, 2012 7:17 PM PDT
    Thankfully it was ONLY the batter!
    Was it past its warranty?
    • 314 posts
    May 14, 2012 8:19 PM PDT
    nope less than a yr old. i do also now that i need a charger. the one i had used said the battery was fully charged
  • May 15, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
    well it could be the charger is ok,the battery may have been holding the 12 volts,but when you push the starter button,it puts a load on,how much idk,from my meager understanding a battery has to be able to put out more than 12 volts,the tweve volts is storage (disclaimer I know just enough to be dangerous,always confer with a qualified individual before acting on advice of mine)