Meet & Greet - Quartzite, AZ - April 20-22

• 5419 posts
    March 26, 2012 3:14 PM PDT
    Well our good friend Mike (RexTheRoadDog) will be out west next month and Laura and I will be heading out to Quartzite, AZ to see him.

We invite and welcome any other CycleFish members who would like to join us and get to know some of the other members.

The exact campground that we will stay at hasn't been finalized, but there are several nice ones in the area.

Our plan is to get out there on Friday evening and stay thru Sunday.  We will do some riding and explore the area on Saturday and spend the rest of the time eating, drinking and BS'n.

Anyone who would like to join us just reply here and let us know so we can keep you up on the plans.

Quartzite, AZ is near the CA / AZ Border off I-10

2 Hours from Phoenix; 4 Hours from Los Angeles; 4.5 Hours from Las Vegas

• 1516 posts
    March 26, 2012 4:05 PM PDT
    Wow, sounds like a great time, wish I was closer
  • March 26, 2012 4:38 PM PDT
    There's some real fun riding out that way. With any luck the desert will be in bloom. Wish I had time off from work to join yas, so you are going to have to take a ton of pics! Nothing incriminating of course. LOL
    • 5419 posts
    March 26, 2012 6:22 PM PDT
    DebraJo wrote...
    Wow, sounds like a great time, wish I was closer

You don't have to wish... just start heading toward Quartzite and you will be closer!!!!

• 19007 posts
    March 27, 2012 1:34 AM PDT
    Hey I think I will be able to make that, oh wait I already have it scheduled!

First round is on Lucky!

Any locals know of a good campground let me know either here or via PM. I will be in an RV with my boy Riley.
    • 1855 posts
    March 27, 2012 1:36 AM PDT
    Well, we be on the road Mid April, around Alabama. Ya just never know which way we'll head after that. Ya just never know.

Peace
    • 19007 posts
    March 27, 2012 1:52 AM PDT
    Here is a list of parks I found using google,
    Anyone have recomendations or others please reply...

• March 27, 2012 6:45 AM PDT
    Sounds like a blast!! I have traveled that area a bit back in 2011 beautiful ridin (course its all beautiful ridin as long as your ridin lol) Be safe and have fun!!
    • 277 posts
    March 28, 2012 8:05 AM PDT
    Where are we going?  To the middle of no-where? 
    I don't like mountain lions...........

• March 28, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
    Aaaw, They just big ole pussycats...if'n ya see one just go up and stroke it...they like that y'know...it will be your friend for life if you stroke and tickle it under the chin.....lol.....NOT!!!
    • 19007 posts
    March 28, 2012 12:10 PM PDT
    HDBeech wrote...
    Where are we going?  To the middle of no-where? 
    I don't like mountain lions...........

No the 'Middle of nowhere' is between Ft. Stockton and Big Bend National Park, TX. I found it the other day.

Quartzite, the gem stone capital of the world...

• 823 posts
    March 28, 2012 2:53 PM PDT
    You are right about the middle of nowhere! LOL Your in my country, I have worked and rode down there. Mountain Lions?? I have a tag for those in New Mexico, called a cougar tag.
    • 5419 posts
    March 30, 2012 1:49 AM PDT
    We are now looking at Alamo Lake State Park - http://azstateparks.com/Parks/ALLA/index.html style="font-size: larger;">

Anyone been there?
  • March 30, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
    Sometimes I wish I didn't have kids so I could go and do something like this lol. But they come first so maybe next I can find a babysitter.
    • 277 posts
    March 30, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
    I know it will still be a CF Party with just Lucky, me, Mike and Riley....but I do hope more people get to go! I feel safer in numbers. Mountain Lions can then CHOOSE someone else to eat besides me.
    • 846 posts
    March 30, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
    Wish I could head out that way. But it would be a little longer then a weekend trip for me.

Remember the most important thing with Mountain Lions. You don't need to be faster then the mountain loin, just faster then the person behind you.
    • 5419 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:02 PM PDT
    Mike, did you contact the Alamo Lake State Park? Is that the place for sure?
    • 19007 posts
    April 3, 2012 3:20 AM PDT
    Sorry, I have not contacted them yet. I have checked their website though. I need to decide when I am leaving here. Will try to do today.
  • April 3, 2012 3:39 AM PDT
    It's only 2001 miles from here. 20 years ago that would have been a 2 day ride. Time sure does pass quickly.
    • 19007 posts
    April 4, 2012 5:24 AM PDT
    OH My site is booked. Arriving on the 18th. Staying till the 24th. Hoping to buy someone a beer or Jack for sure!
    • 844 posts
    April 4, 2012 8:18 AM PDT
    Wish I had the time. I would love to come up and hang out with the CF old timers
    • 2 posts
    April 5, 2012 2:17 PM PDT
    I'd like to join you guys. I won't know until next week if I'll be able to, but there is a good chance I will be free to head out there. Send me the details
    • 5419 posts
    April 5, 2012 2:31 PM PDT
    Cool, hope you can make it. Mike will be the 18th. Staying till the 24th. Laura and I are getting there on the 20th staying 'till the 22nd or 23rd.

We will be at the Alamo Lake State Park camp ground...
    http://azstateparks.com/Parks/ALLA/index.html style="font-size: larger;"> .
    Mike has site A16 reserved.
    • 2 posts
    April 5, 2012 2:44 PM PDT
    Great, the wife will likely join me. Should I reserve a site when I know for sure if we're going?
    • 19007 posts
    April 10, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
    Cool StBobber!