Biker Club

• December 23, 2009 10:40 AM PST

It seems to me that something is missing. Or maybe it's just me. Why do only 1% Clubs have a tight, I trust you, you got my back, I can let my hair down with you guys, thing going on?

I'll spell it out. I don't dig partying with MOST of my co-workers. Shit gets back to work, and the next thing you know it's twisted or maybe even totally fabricated, and then you are pissed. Any more, my wife and I do not party with work. On the flip side, I don't want to sit around a camp fire and drink beer and yack all friggin night about what is going on at work.

Years ago I ran with ABATE. (Oak Harbor) That was cool. But that was also 25 years ago. Now, I'm just not into the politics. We have to wear helmets, it's not the friggin cop's fault. He's just doing what we pay him to do. Dude! I am not into shit talking cops all night either.

Harley Owner's Group. Yup, signed up, bought the patch, paid the dues, went to the chirstmas party and was like. Wow. Nice people, but ya, super nice people. Like I have to watch my language nice. Like I had two vodka lemonades and started getting looked at like I was trying to start a revolution. (Which will not be televised, by the way)

I am not ever going to be a 3 patch guy, though I have no personal beef. Just not my bag.

So what do the rest of us do?

Anyone go through this mid-biker-life crisis besides me? Maybe you can help me pass the time by tossing this around.

Anyone interested in forming something up? Maybe we can fix the guidlines right here?

Looking for a small club. Colors not important, name not important. No officers or elections, you do you part cuz that is what you are good at. I'm thinking that it would be about riding, havin fun, being yourself, and helpin out your brothers and sisters. Doesn't have to be a commune, or even a monthly thing. And by no means is it just a thing for poeple to be in charge of something. (IE No potluck committes) Just "where, when, what should we bring?"

What do you think? Comments?

• December 23, 2009 10:49 AM PST
    I should add... no dues. Once we have 5 bikes (couples or not) we plan a ride. Has to be over night because no drinkin and riding and you won't really know me till I've pounded down a few.
    If this takes off cyclefish-nationwide, we would need "chapters". For instance, I am sure people from the east coast are cool, but I'm not that into internet friends... no offense Facebookers.

So, for our area would be 5 bikes within a few hours ride of the ceneter of Washington and Oregon.

Lets go, get with it
  • December 23, 2009 11:10 AM PST
    Wore colors for several years. Club busted up after a legal battle over name. 90 chapter, 1500 members. Miss the family atmosphere. I know what you mean about the HOG thing. Good folks and a lot of my friends are in it. I carry a national membership but not local. Just not my thing. Seems to be too political and too tight assed around here.I'm sure other areas are different. Like the ole sayin goes, 30 min and $30k doesn't make you a biker".
  • December 23, 2009 11:16 AM PST
    No doubt. you might get my point better than most if you patched in the past. I am about 99% of a 1%er, the only thing that makes me different is that my hustle is legit. Not that ALL 1%ers are 1%ers.

• December 23, 2009 11:18 AM PST
    The local HOG thing... I went straight home and cut off the Chapter rocker. I have the cool HOG National Patch. Not sure they make a "NOMAD" HOG rocker...
  • December 24, 2009 4:09 AM PST
    Huh.. maybe I am the only one wondering WTF
  • December 24, 2009 4:35 AM PST
    Stopped riding to raise the kids and make the money to get them in college. Returned a few years back and joined what is an International group called the Retreads. Yeah Retreads! Great description. You have to be over 40 to join. Very ride oriented with few rules... We have several little groups in NC but we all get together for big rides like our annual New Years Day ride. We have local and an International Rally. This year it's in Hickory NC just outside of the Blue Ridge Mts. It will be some great riding. We ride to eat on weekends. Go to some "Bike Weeks". Loosley organized but fun people. $15/ year that goes to support AMA mostly. If you want to know more let me know.
    • 5419 posts
    December 24, 2009 5:23 AM PST
    I agree with you 100%. It is very hard to find a group to ride with without all the politics involved.

Like you I have friends who wear 3 rockers, but just not for me. I was a very active member of the local HOG chapter for a few years, made some really great friends, but just got tired of the politics and over-planning every ride and event. Hell I just want to let the group know when and where to meet and RIDE! No commitments, no officers, and especially no rules.

That is one of the reasons I wanted to start CycleFish...to help riders find others to ride with. As for starting an actual CycleFish riding club, with chapters, I think that may be a little farther down the road as we grow our member base. What I would like to see as kind of a pre-cursor to that is CycleFish users start using the Group feature here on the site. The Group feature is not only for groups who are already established. How I would like to see that used is someone (like your self) to start a Group called "XZY Area Riders". Put some info out there about the what, when and where, and start inviting local CycleFish members to join the group. You can use the discussion board to suggest and pre-plan rides, and use the other sections to talk about the group and share photos and stories from the rides.

I think once we see these impromptu riding groups start forming up, we can start building lots more interest.

Just some food for thought.
  • December 24, 2009 8:27 AM PST
    Great idea Lucky. I will give it some thought and maybe post something over there after the Holidays. Maybe as a moderator you can keep it in the back of your mind and point people the right direction.

I am not into "rules" but some kind of guide lines are smart. At least so people know what they are getting into. What it is and what it isnt. As far as I am concerned, I don't like to go attend something not knowing what it is. If I know what to expect its no surpise.

Again, I will give it some thought and we'll see where this goes. I have the local thing in mind. Being part of some enormouse international thing that you never attend isn't much help. For starts I think a "Chapter" for lack of a better term, should have at least 5 bikes. (solo or couples either way) And that they should all be within a couple hours ride of eachother. More later - Happy Christmas
  • g
    December 27, 2009 12:53 AM PST
    club's ,patch's ?? whats this all about ?,just do what i do ,find some good pals and go for a blast every sun ,i have about 3 groups of frends i go out with on ma bike ,all good guys ,none are in clubs ,gangs ,or have patch's.maybe thats just the way things are over with u guys ??could no be botherd with all that pish like .
  • December 27, 2009 2:17 AM PST
    I found out about Cyclefish through the organizer of one of the local "groups" I belong to. I found the group through Meetup.com and have since become a "member" of several groups. These groups post rides - both long and short, meetup points, bike shows, social activities, etc. on a calendar. There are no fees, no patches, no club mentality. If you want to go on a ride or activity, you sign up and show up. If you don't no problem. You choose your level of participation. If you show up and decide it's not for you, you break off and go your own way - no big deal. I have met many different people through these groups, and it is a good way to find other like minded people to get to know and ride with as well as discover many great roads and destinations. All types of bikes and all types of riders are usually welcome, from beginners to hard core. No matter what type of group you get involved in, not everyone is like minded and there will be drama and conflict of some sort. I choose not to get involved in that aspect. I also am a member of our local HOG chapter (which by the way is hosting this year's PA State HOG Rally) and of course, this is much more organized, regimented, membership based and Harley oriented. The other groups accept any type of bike or trike. It all comes down to getting out there and meeting people. Cyclefish is just another way to meet people with a common interest, both locally and not so local, You never know when our paths might cross!
  • December 27, 2009 10:39 AM PST
    Hey, good to see people are chiming in on this. My point though is more pointed...

What happened to the Good Old Fashion Biker Clubs? Just because I am a biker, doesn't mean I want to get jumped into a gang, nor does it mean I want to sit around drinking $10 coffees and chit chat about Nordstrom Stock. I am Cycle "fishing" for the answer. Where are all the true Original Bikers?
    • 126 posts
    December 27, 2009 11:35 AM PST
    I like what Dynadee had to say. I like to ride even when it's cold like today 43 deg. It felt good just to get out. Would of been good to go with some other people but I have to ride when I can. There are all kind of clubs out there but I don't want to do the meetings and b/s. I ride a Kawasaki Nomad so I don't fit in with just Harlys. It needs to be about the ride.
  • December 27, 2009 12:51 PM PST
    That's kind of another point. A true Original Biker appreciates all bikes. I ride a Harley, and as long as I ride it, it won't fit in with JUST Harleys either. Inside the Harley relm are other sub levels of that same disease. If you ride a Sportster you are a sissy, or Electra Gluids are for geezers, or if it has a passenger seat you must be pussy whipped! I am glad there is a place for those people, but is there a place for me?
    • 467 posts
    December 27, 2009 3:36 PM PST
    Do you have a local UMF Chapter--strictly a social club?
  • December 27, 2009 11:00 PM PST
    you guys have nailed it, it isn't about the politics, just that you ride and love the time with other riders. hey wingzaloft, the retreads sound interesting.
  • g
    December 28, 2009 4:32 AM PST
    JimandTerri wrote...
    Hey, good to see people are chiming in on this. My point though is more pointed...

What happened to the Good Old Fashion Biker Clubs? Just because I am a biker, doesn't mean I want to get jumped into a gang, nor does it mean I want to sit around drinking $10 coffees and chit chat about Nordstrom Stock. I am Cycle "fishing" for the answer. Where are all the true Original Bikers?

what do u call a true original biker ?,im a guy who has a bike and also has a good few bike frends ,so does that make me a biker or a motorcyclist ?? ,or do i have to be in some sort of gang ?? or am i in a gang already when i go out for a sunday blast with good pals ??
    • 1364 posts
    December 28, 2009 6:46 AM PST
    So here's my 27.5 cents worth...... I ride a Harley, I have a H-D and a KISS Army patch on my vest. Hog member. Don't go to meetings. I choose who I ride with and who I don't.  American bike, Japanese  who gives a F@*$ !!! Cool cats with a good soul, respects others and there selves, Likes to ride and have fun is all good in my book.

• December 28, 2009 7:49 AM PST
    highrisk wrote...
    So here's my 27.5 cents worth...... I ride a Harley, I have a H-D and a KISS Army patch on my vest. Hog member. Don't go to meetings. I choose who I ride with and who I don't.  American bike, Japanese  who gives a F@*$ !!! Cool cats with a good soul, respects others and there selves, Likes to ride and have fun is all good in my book.

I agree with Highrisk.....to sum it up, the bike doesn't make the person nor does the 3 patches.....it's what you got in your heart and soul that people will truly respect in the end.

• December 28, 2009 7:55 AM PST
    Totally, Highrisk! (Not to get all Moon Unit on ya)

g - to me an original biker means from the origin of the thing. In other words, the way we were before all the clubs, groups, associations, etc. Not original in the sense that I am unique. Imagine darwin finding a helmet and a kick stand instead of a swimming lizzard. What would he say happened to us? The post is to get people thinking. Just like you said, what is a biker? If I made it sound to you like I feel I am the only one, it was unintentional. If this discussion led to several bikers actually getting together and doing some riding and a little partying, then cool beans
  • December 28, 2009 10:29 AM PST
    I'm the president of the screamingeagles cycle club,I learn from my father how to run a cycle club,which it should run itself,mainly the screamingeagles consist of family and friends just a few outsider ,but we ride as a family,help each other out like as if it was us,support we hunt,fish.camp, holidays,church,even pta meeting ,we take care of own .doesn't matter if your black ,white etc...we'll all one color in screamingeagles cycle club male or female,and should be with all bikers,leave no bikers stuck,lost,or etc...bikers law from day one YOU DON'T HAVE LOVE THE BIKER,BUT YOU HAVE TO LOVE THE BIKE.        SOLIDER!!!!!!!!!
  • December 28, 2009 11:21 AM PST
    freedom! that's what it means to me
  • g
    December 28, 2009 9:18 PM PST
    no bother jim ,just that we have this a lot in scotland ,and wee never get to the end of it .folks asking are we bikers or motorcyclist ?? ,whats the diffrence ??
  • g
    December 28, 2009 9:20 PM PST
    if u have a bike ,then just get ur ass on it and enjoy , end of .
  • December 29, 2009 2:35 AM PST
    Yup. I rode Sunday, was 27deg... which is -3 for you metric folks. Didn't see a lot of bikers out there, but I sure had fun