NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 5420 posts
    March 24, 2012 6:02 AM PDT
    Well John - Good news is your boy Denny got himself a poll start on a BIG track that should suite him well.  That was one great qualifier he ran testerday (I have I TV I can see from my desk)  about 1/2 way through I thought we were going to see a new one lap record!

Bad news is, you may have to wait until Monday to see it. Weather is not looking that good, but I'm still heading out to the track in the morning. I'll either be watching the race tomorrow from my cheap seats, or if it rains out I'll try to get a good deal on some better seats from someone who cna't make it back on Monday!!!
    • 5420 posts
    March 24, 2012 2:29 PM PDT
    Congrats to Joey Logano on a great race today in the Nationwide. Logano is the first Sprint Cup Series regular to win a Nationwide race this season. Plus that makes 8 Sprint Cup wins in a row at California Speedway for Joe Gibbs Racing, better watch JGR tomorrow - there due for a Sprint win in Fontana!
    • 16825 posts
    March 24, 2012 4:58 PM PDT
    Yes Joey won from the poll, hopefully Denny will too! :-)

Believe it or not (I wish I wasn't such a cordial bastard) I'll be at my favorite NOT brother-in-law's house for my niece's 30th birthday. Dude is my s-i-l's 3rd husband not my niece's dad.
    My wife forewarned her sister that my father-in-law and I both wouldn't stay if they didn't have the race on their TV.
    • 5420 posts
    March 24, 2012 5:36 PM PDT
    Only once has the pole sitter won at California and that was Jimmy and it was the Pepsi 500 not the Auto Club.

But Denny's got a lot of good things on his side this race - looked really good in practice and qualifying, he is good on the big fast tracks, and JGR has a great record in CA (even though they have no Cup wins they do well in the Nationwide and top tens in Cup)... so there is a chance we could see the first car to take the green go on to be the first to take the checker again tomorrow!!! Jimmy and Tony really like this track too, so he's got his work cut out for him.

On another note: Weather forecast just keeps getting worse and worse.  Looks like I'm going to get wet riding to the track, 'cause no way am I taking the truck and dealing with the traffic and parking.
    • 16825 posts
    March 25, 2012 3:38 AM PDT
    If not a win I hope Hamlin gets a top 5 finish the way the points are.
    • 5420 posts
    March 25, 2012 1:45 PM PDT
    Well a shortened race won by Tony Stewart who did run a good race!

John, Guess your guy rolled the dice with hopes they would restart and it cost him a bunch of points.

BTW - I never made it to the track. It was pouring by my house a few hours before start time and I thought for sure the race would be postponed. Storms normally move pretty quickly to the west around here, bt I guess it hung out here just long enough for them to get 100+ laps before it moved NW to the track. Oh well, always next year!
    • 16825 posts
    March 25, 2012 3:52 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Well a shortened race won by Tony Stewart who did run a good race!

John, Guess your guy rolled the dice with hopes they would restart and it cost him a bunch of points.

BTW - I never made it to the track. It was pouring by my house a few hours before start time and I thought for sure the race would be postponed. Storms normally move pretty quickly to the west around here, bt I guess it hung out here just long enough for them to get 100+ laps before it moved NW to the track. Oh well, always next year!

To say the least, bad call from the pit-box.
    The radar told the story of  more rain and a big storm coming.

I'm glad you didn't get caught up in that weather on your bike.

• April 1, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
    Noticed no one is talking about this weeks race - doesn't anyone like Martinesville
    • 5420 posts
    April 1, 2012 6:18 AM PDT
    Well I've got to admit Martinsville normally is a pretty boring race to watch on TV. I mean really, the average speed of the race is 86.982 mph - that's how fast I go riding TO the track here in So Cal !!!

I've got it on while I'm working in the garage and stopping by the computer, but not the kind of race I can sit and watch. Just a little slow and even the passing is not that exciting.
    • 16825 posts
    April 1, 2012 5:05 PM PDT
    After they have time to watch the films and figure out they have been had by Stewart - Haas I wonder how Hendrix will feel about their agreements.
    • 844 posts
    April 2, 2012 8:35 AM PDT
    Yes Sir, I like the big tracks too. I watched about 10 minutes of the race yesterday and fell asleep.
    • 5420 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:41 PM PDT
    Know what ya mean GoFur. I did get to see the end though and made for a pretty exciting Green, White, Checker. I know the move Bowyer made had more chance of causing problems than not, but he had to do it. Your talking a track that averages 20 second laps... not like he had time to tuck in and wait.

Well GoFur you got 'em coming your way next week to Texas Motor Speedway. 1 1/2 mile quad should keep you awake!!!
    • 5420 posts
    April 11, 2012 4:43 AM PDT
    Well after a week off for Easter, the boys will be rolling into Texas for another fast Big Track race... well kind of big, but at least they won't be running 80 something mph averages like two weeks ago in Martinsville!

Here's what Vegas has the odds at...

Tony Stewart 4/1
    Jimmie Johnson 5/1
    Carl Edwards 6/1
    Kyle Busch 8/1
    Matt Kenseth 10/1
    Brad Keselowski 10/1
    Jeff Gordon 10/1
    Kevin Harvick 10/1
    Denny Hamlin 12/1
    Greg Biffle 12/1
    Dale Earnhardt Jr 15/1

I personally would give Jr. better than 15 to 1 on a big fast track like Texas Motor Speedway, but I normally loose more often than the house in Vegas.

My picks are Keselowski & Edwards!!!
    • 16825 posts
    April 11, 2012 6:21 PM PDT
    I'm glad NASCAR is going back to Rockingham at least with the trucks.
    • 5420 posts
    April 12, 2012 10:11 AM PDT
    Man I almost forgot about the Rock - it's been quite a few years since they had any real racing there.

I was reading up on it and see they just installed SAFER barriers this past year. Maybe a Cup race going back to Rockingham in the future???
    • 16825 posts
    April 12, 2012 5:49 PM PDT
    I hope.
    It had to be devastating to that area having both NASCAR and NHRA pulling their events.
    • 51 posts
    April 13, 2012 9:57 AM PDT
    Thinking this will be Edwards all the way!
    • 658 posts
    April 13, 2012 11:16 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    I hope.
    It had to be devastating to that area having both NASCAR and NHRA pulling their events.

It hurt the area alot, It was good that IHRA kept coming. They started running alot of bike stuff and promoted tons of regional events at the dragstrip.
     A large portion the stands for the ZMax Drag Strip in Charlotte came from the Rock. When Andy bought it he started turning it around with driving schools and was able to get the Hooters Cup Series in there. I think there were a few ARCA races also but, I'm not sure. I'm glad to see the trucks in there this weekend. It's about time.
    Medic
  • April 13, 2012 2:13 PM PDT

Boys Have At IT

• 16825 posts
    April 13, 2012 4:36 PM PDT
    Bikermedic wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    I hope.

It hurt the area alot, It was good that IHRA kept coming. They started running alot of bike stuff and promoted tons of regional events at the dragstrip.
     A large portion the stands for the ZMax Drag Strip in Charlotte came from the Rock. When Andy bought it he started turning it around with driving schools and was able to get the Hooters Cup Series in there. I think there were a few ARCA races also but, I'm not sure. I'm glad to see the trucks in there this weekend. It's about time.
    Medic

I'm glad they got things going there again.

• 658 posts
    May 17, 2012 3:39 AM PDT
    If you're watching the Truck race Friday night or the All Star race on Saturday. Look for Grandpaw Smurf in the Cup garage or along the first half of pit road.
    I'll wave at ya,

Medic
    • 5420 posts
    May 17, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
    We'll be looking for you.  Should have told me earlier I would have got you a CycleFish hat

You can still make a CycleFish sign and hold it up

• 658 posts
    May 17, 2012 12:06 PM PDT
    Damn, I hate I didn't think of that before. Thanks anyway Lucky! This will be my 18th year out there working for the track. There's plenty more racing to do this year. I'll have to get up with ya. I'd wear it proudly!! If theres helmet stickers, I have to get one of thoose for my track helmet. Besides I need to cover my bald head. lol
    I'll be representing us with pride brother.
    • 16825 posts
    May 17, 2012 5:15 PM PDT
    Keep an eye on Juan Pablo Montoya, so he don't hit ya. :-)
    • 658 posts
    May 21, 2012 4:50 PM PDT

Hey Guys,
      I made it without a scratch. And I was only 60 ft from Montoya's garage stall!  lol   Had a great time and a great partner. Come to find out I had taken care of her when she drove in the Legend series at CMS. Now it's back to the grind, can't get off work to be there for the 600. But it's not that long til October!
     Lucky, I'll make sure I have my helmet sticker in place by then.

Medic