Michigan helmet law

• February 17, 2012 3:49 PM PST
    Just curious if there are any updates on whether or not Michigan has rescinded their helmet law?  I keep hearing talk about it, but don't know if it has actually happened.
    • 16795 posts
    February 17, 2012 3:59 PM PST
    As of yet I have not received any info that it has been.
  • Ry
    February 17, 2012 4:44 PM PST
     This seems to be the closest link I found to an answer on its current status:

http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blog/2012/01/30/motorcycle-helmet-repeal-update/ type="_moz" />
    • 1855 posts
    February 18, 2012 12:49 AM PST
    I do know that both the house and the senate passed the bill and it is up to the governor to sign. I also know that ABATE Michigan and CMRO don't like the repeal bill because it demands additional insurance for motorcycle riders; unconstitutional AND really unnecessary.

Peace
  • February 18, 2012 1:27 AM PST
    Thanks, everybody. Jimmy, that's some interesting information - now I'm *really* curious. Michigan's legislature has a Republican majority (if I recall correctly), and the governor is Republican as well, so I'm frankly a bit surprised about the additional insurance requirement. Not only is it unnecessary, I would think enforcement would be problematic. In fact, as far as I can see, the only way it's truly enforceable is if the additional insurance requirement is placed on every rider. And I can't believe they're contemplating that. I have to think I'm missing something here, so hopefully somebody can point it out to me.

Thanks again for the replies.
    • 1855 posts
    February 18, 2012 2:26 AM PST
    In 1998 the KBA (Kentucky Biker's Association) supported such a plan. If I recall, the plan only required proof of health insurance. Jay Huber, president of the KBA wanted to get the repeal signed into law and then review the legality of the health insurance requirement. There was some confusion as to who could actually ride in KY without a helmet. LEO's insisted it applied only to Kentucky residence who complied with the rules of the new legislation. Out of state residence, myself included, didn't take the chance. We wore out helmets.

Ironically enough, health insurance requirement is now a national issue, i.e. Obama health care. The KY legislature ruled that requiring health insurance for motorcyclist was unconstitutional. Most full coverage insurance policy do include some sort of medical coverage for the rider/passenger. Even if it is only to the tune of $5K, it's something. Whether or not Michigan can legislate (mandate) the health insurance requirement is uncertain. But I doubt that they can mandate the amount of coverage. Also, Michigan governors have a history of backing out of their promises.

Peace
  • February 18, 2012 2:44 AM PST
    Thanks, Jimmy. I gotta ask - your signature block hints at a certain BOC song. Are you a fan, by chance? I saw them last summer at Milwaukee's Summerfest and the ol' boys can still bring it.
  • March 7, 2012 5:19 AM PST
    We live in North Georgia and have been riding up to Kentucky for the past 4 years for a week just to ride without a helment. Never been stopped. I thought I was legal since I have health insurance. Ignorance is bliss
    • 5419 posts
    March 7, 2012 5:44 AM PST
    Bill 291 repealing the Michigan Mandatory Helmet Law passed the house in November but has since been put on hold.

The Senate is waiting to see if an auto no-fault bill emerges from the House before taking the helmet repeal up again.

The Michigan Code still states the All motorcycle riders must wear a properly-fastened safety helmet on their head.  The safety helmet must be approved by the USDOT, ANSI, or Snell.  Passengers must also comply.

ABATE of Michigan (http://www.abateofmichigan.org/) is very active in working to get this Bill back on the floor and passed!
    • 1855 posts
    March 7, 2012 6:17 AM PST
    It's always been on the governor and I suspect this time won't be any different.

Peace
  • April 3, 2012 2:46 AM PDT
    All,

Michigan's revised helmet bill, SB-291, that restores adult choice on helmet usage, arrived on Governor Snyder's desk yesterday (4/2/2012) for signature.  He has 14 days from yesterday to either sign it or veto.  If he does neither, it automatically becomes law after the 14 day period has passed.

We need everyone here to help us out in persuade Governor Snyder to sign the bill.  Please send an email to rick.snyder@michigan.gov and ask him to sign the bill.  If you are not living in Michigan, please tell the Governor that you would love to visit Michigan and ride our great roads and spend lots of money...but you currently do not because you would be forced to buy/wear a helmet against your will.

Also, if you prefer to call (or will do both), the phone numbers are:
    • Governor’s Constituent Relations Office: 1-517-335-7858. This number is to voice your opinion. They may not want your name, just your opinion. This is the most important # to call.
    • Governor’s Capitol Office Phone: 1-517-373-3400. May be a recording or a staff member.
    • S.E. Michigan Office (Detroit): 1-313-456-1837. May be a recording or a staff member.
    • Northern Michigan Office (Marquette): 1-906-228-2850. Same as above!

We will keep this up to go on for as long as it takes. Make copies to hand out at Swap Meets, “HOG” meetings, local motorcycle shops, motorcycle events, and anywhere else you can.

Please do this today...click on the link now and send a note to Governor Snyder.  The clock is ticking...

TIA

--Kickstand, Commander
    US Defenders/C.O.I.R. (Michigan)

Board Member, Michigan Confederation of Clubs

http://mcoc.us - web

• 16795 posts
    April 3, 2012 5:05 AM PDT
    Rock On Michigan!
    Let your Governor know you want him to sign it.
  • April 8, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
    Well, let's hope it happens. I know lots of guys, me included, who will be happy not to have to bring a helmet along on rides just in case they happen to swing through Michigan.
    • 1855 posts
    April 8, 2012 3:09 AM PDT
    wolfpack wrote...
    Thanks, Jimmy. I gotta ask - your signature block hints at a certain BOC song. Are you a fan, by chance? I saw them last summer at Milwaukee's Summerfest and the ol' boys can still bring it.

I'm a fan of Blue Oyster Cult. I don't know if they did any version of the song however.  The song I hint to was written by Richard Thomas.  The song?  Vincent Black Lightning, infamous in my circle of fellow musicians by the Del McCour Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-w0KgE-8s />
    Peace
  • April 13, 2012 7:50 PM PDT
    It is official, Rick Snyder signed the law and helmets are not required in the state of Michigan as of 4-13-12...
  • April 14, 2012 5:33 PM PDT
    MgoBlue27 wrote...
    It is official, Rick Snyder signed the law and helmets are not required in the state of Michigan as of 4-13-12...

Man, I wish I had seen this in the AM - I'd have been flying through the UP with the wind in my hair.  THANK YOU for the update!

• April 14, 2012 5:35 PM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    wolfpack wrote...

I'm a fan of Blue Oyster Cult. I don't know if they did any version of the song however.  The song I hint to was written by Richard Thomas.  The song?  Vincent Black Lightning, infamous in my circle of fellow musicians by the Del McCour Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-w0KgE-8s />
    Peace

That's awesome.  I love bluegrass - good stuff there.  It's funny - here's the song I was thinking of:

• January 19, 2016 2:21 PM PST
    I need help with Pokers Runs at Summerfest folks ;-) any takers???
  • January 20, 2016 1:30 AM PST
     Michigan law now allows motorcyclists to decide for themselves, if certain conditions are met, whether or not to wear a helmet.

To legally not wear a helmet, a motorcycle operator must:

• Be at least 21 years old.
    • Have at least $20,000 in first-party medical benefits.
    • Have held a motorcycle endorsement for at least two years, or have passed an approved motorcycle safety course.

The law also allows for motorcycle passengers to not wear a helmet. Passengers also may not wear a helmet as long as they:

• Are at least 21 years old.
    • Have at least $20,000 in first-party medical benefits insurance in addition to the insurance that is required of the motorcycle operator.

A person younger than 21 years old still must wear a helmet approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation when operating or riding on a motorcycle. The requirement that an individual younger than 19 years old must wear a helmet if operating a moped on a public roadway is unchanged.