CycleFish.com

Browse Latest Posts   Categories   The Garage » General    

Cruise Control

Topics: 10   Posts: 37
Do aftermarket cruise control work at all? I've installed a few and have had nothing but poor results with them. Has anybody else tried them out and which ones actually worked?

Do aftermarket cruise control work at all ? Which are the best?
Topics: 0   Posts: 97
Do you mean throttle locks or actual cruise controls? I had a throttle lock on my bike once that worked great! When I switched my bars and grips it was usless since it uses a rubber shoe on a metal grip. I just bought the vista cruise control (throttle lock) for a buddy and as soon as he installs it on his Vulcan I will let you know what his verdict is.

Sorry, yes it's the throttle lock that I'm talking about.Thanks let me know how it turns out.

Topics: 0   Posts: 16
I have the Throttle lock on my bike. I like it a lot.
You do speed up and slow down a little (hills) but it works pretty good.
I use mine mostly for long highway trips but it does give your hand a break when ever you need it.
allows you to relax and stretch out your arm.

Topics: 0   Posts: 97
Oh... My buddy the one I got the throttle lock for says its awesome!.. Its a vista cruise and I believe they are universal fit though you need either the 7/8' or 1' whatever size bars you have.

Thanks Keymaster, i hope I get the results I'm looking for.

Topics: 98   Posts: 1401
I think throttle locks are dangerous.  Here' a a suggestion.

Banggood Universal Motorcycle Throttle Cruise Control Assist Fit ALL grips

Red Hair and Black Leather
My Favorite Color Scheme
Http://inthewindwithdoc.com
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-- Thomas Jefferson
Topics: 1   Posts: 1
I have a 2000 FLHT and use a cruise mate. The nice thing about it is that once you have it activated you can still move your throttle up and down. We sell them on our website at bdmperformanceproducts.com. if your are interested.

See the Cruise-Mate here

Topics: 7   Posts: 130
BDMPP, I just looked it up on your website. It looks like that might be pretty nice. I might have to try that out. Thanks for the info.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way
Topics: 2   Posts: 51
I have a vista cruise on my valcan 900 works good, The only thing is you have to remember that's it a throttle lock and not a cruise control, Its great for long flat rides and you will need to throttle up and down hills. But you can still control the throttle with the lock set

Topics: 212   Posts: 5402
Yep, I use my throttle lock all the time. I don't crank it super tight so I can power on slightly on up hill and power down slightly on down hill. I usually keep my hand resting on the throttle anyway, I just use it so I don't have to grip and hold it.

I tried one of the "palm pads" (like above) but found it causes to much variation in speed with the slightest arm movement.

Lucky - CycleFish Leader

Topics: 0   Posts: 22
I have a vsita cruiser on my Road King....works ok for short stretches just to stretch my right hand for a while

Topics: 1   Posts: 667
Installed a MC cruise control system on 2006 Nomad and had great result, however, it was and still is great pricey.

Topics: 49   Posts: 9851
Lucky wrote...
Yep, I use my throttle lock all the time. I don't crank it super tight so I can power on slightly on up hill and power down slightly on down hill. I usually keep my hand resting on the throttle anyway, I just use it so I don't have to grip and hold it.

I tried one of the "palm pads" (like above) but found it causes to much variation in speed with the slightest arm movement.

Me too Ron. Also when I service the throttle cables I put a little lithium grease on the friction pad for the lock. It makes it much easier to find that spot where it will hold  and still allow easy movement.

RexTheRoadDog

Topics: 1   Posts: 35
Funny what you’re talking about used to be called “Dead Mans” on HDs and several other bikes used it was a stock item. They were a winged screw that set under the throttle. On the 2005 road glide it’s electronic. I don’t and will not use it. I will use the throttle rocker that Jimmyacorn posted.
For a while I did and sometimes still do endurance rides. Cruse can be dangerous in a car or bike, but at least the electronic ones if you touch the brake or clutch, adjust the throttle they disengage. Dead man’s do what they say Lock the throttle and its one more thing you have to do manually. Not a big deal 90% of the time but on that slim 10% it could cost you big time.

Topics: 13   Posts: 546
I have an 02 FLSTF and had a stock cruise control unit from the 2010 model retrofitted to my bike for about $300
Works great, like a true cruise control and saves on my bad right arm immensely!

Claudia & Clay Iacovetto

Get a grip on reality--AND CHOKE IT TO DEATH!!!
Topics: 30   Posts: 918
I use my throttle lock a lot, but just enough to hold it but still able to shut it down or crank it up. I will try the grease like Rex recommended. Sounds like a good idea.

GoFur

Don't Matter What You Ride, As Long As You Ride!
Topics: 5   Posts: 374
Some of my friends use a simple ty-wrap for a throttle lock. They say it works pretty good. My 05 RK has electronic cruise which works really nice.
Check this video out.

Forum Home | Browse Latest

You must be a registered member and logged in to your CycleFish Profile to reply to this forum!

Search CycleFish

Copyright © 2012 CycleFish.com       |       The CycleFish website is proudly hosted at: HostGator.com