CycleFish.com

Browse Latest Posts   Categories   Bikers&... » Biker Chat    

Do You Wear A Helmet (if not required)

Topics: 15   Posts: 884
g wrote...
its no ment for keeping ur heed warm .

It does help tho

The thing I notice about riding with or without a lid is that when I ride in a country that allows you not to I tend to ride slower and easy.
At home I ride a little faster and probably a bit more careless because of the fales sense of security with a lid on and I wear an open face helmet all year round in Ireland.
I can't speak for other countries but I know here in Ireland the guys who shout the loudest about having to wear the best lids noey can buy or believe that safety gear should be a legal requirement are usually the worse offenders of speeding and acting like idiots on the road.
If you act like a looney on the road, odds are you will need that safety gear sooner rather than later.

It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not!
Topics: 59   Posts: 4013
aye true dyna ,but still no worth the risk .

a car or truck could pull out on ur path ,no ur fault ,still ****ed no matter what ,or like the guy on the bike in aberdeen ,he hit a paki ,the paki got out his car on the main road ,crossed over to pray ,on his way back to his car he got run over by the guy on his bike and was killed .TRUE STORY ,was on friday last week ,rush hour time .so u dont know when u might need a lid or any other gear .

Topics: 207   Posts: 5324
Dyna wrote...
g wrote...
its no ment for keeping ur heed warm .

It does help tho

The thing I notice about riding with or without a lid is that when I ride in a country that allows you not to I tend to ride slower and easy.
At home I ride a little faster and probably a bit more careless because of the fales sense of security with a lid on and I wear an open face helmet all year round in Ireland.
I can't speak for other countries but I know here in Ireland the guys who shout the loudest about having to wear the best lids noey can buy or believe that safety gear should be a legal requirement are usually the worse offenders of speeding and acting like idiots on the road.
If you act like a looney on the road, odds are you will need that safety gear sooner rather than later.

That's true everywhere Dyna.  I see these guys on sport bikes in full leathers, racing boots & gloves, and a full face hemet.  Then because they are dressed like a racer, think they should ride like one on the public streets.   Now all that stuff will certainly help protect you on a race course where the asphalt blends nicely into grass, ending with hay bails, but it's not going to help much when you cross the line and hit a car head on or go over a cliff.

Lucky - CycleFish Leader

i have race gear ,have a race bike ,had a bike licence for 14yrs ,and never had an off yet ,still would never go on a bike with out a lid ,plain stupid if u ask me ,same as i would never go on a build site without my hard hat .but its up to u guys what u do ,im just glad we have to wear one .would be a lot more bikers killed in scotland and europe if we never had to were on .

Topics: 15   Posts: 884
g, you gotto remember though inour type of climate we have a lot to put up with as bikers.
The constnat wet, wet leaves,badly maintain roads, muck and crap left on the roads by farmers, car drivers theat drive like looneys on our small roads.
In the US and Canada their road are far superior to ours, not to mention wider and bigger.
That is why I think the helmet law discussion will last as long as we biker and will be still going on when are children are biking....hopefully.

It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not!
aye dyna ,true ,true .

Topics: 18   Posts: 1581
i Will have a Full Face even tho im trying to get an H-D.
i have had my accident when my chute failed from 200 feet in the Army with my TBI (Tramidic Brain Injory)
spelling may be off but you get the point, i Want my knees in the breese!

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops,  Feel Free To Stand Infront of Them! 

Topics: 0   Posts: 6
Fortunatly I live in a state (Wi.) that feels I am old & mature enough to make my own decision. Myself personally don't like them, although I do own 2.I believe it should be your own choice. Enough of our freedoms are being taken away from us on the premiss that Big Brother needs to protect us from ourselves.If someone wants to wear a helmet, well fine with me but please don't force your beliefs down my throat. I will make up my own mind. RIDE SAFE RIDE FREE

aye ,its up to u guys .

Topics: 2   Posts: 34
To choose or not to choose, not a choice for us here in CA... it's the LAW. I'd wear one where ever I ride, no matter what. Want to come home and be able to share my riding stories with friends and family. To everyone else out there...whatever your choice..RIDE SAFE.

Topics: 0   Posts: 1
when i ride localy i dont but on highways yes

Topics: 0   Posts: 4
I wear one occasionally. My wife wears one all the time (passanger) which I'm glad she does, since she has no control of the bike. She wears it more for protection from the wind than safety. Not wearing a helmet is just added risk when riding. It will not save you 100% of the time and thats why I think it should be freedom of choice. Get educated and make your own decision!

Topics: 0   Posts: 24
I have a helmet on the floor in the corner of my spare bedroom, it's been there since I moved here.

Topics: 1   Posts: 18
Helmets should be a matter of choice! I live in a state that requires a helmet, however mine is a skid lid! The govt does not need to protect me from myself !
RIDE FREE / RIDE SAFE!

Topics: 4   Posts: 998
i never wore a lid, my kids look to me to set the standard, they both love to ride so i am setting the example. somethings are just that important

if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
badinfluence

Topics: 127   Posts: 2686
I would be the first person to say helmets save lives, I CHOOSE not to wear one. The important thing here as Rex was stating, it should not be up to politicians to decide on matters of this nature. I want to pay the heads of state to be working on matters of national security, and bringing home our Troops from wars we don't need to be in anyway. Sorry that is another subject.
Remember freedom of speech was earned from the blood of our Military both present and past, and I'm glad we have that freedom so sites like this will continue to flourish.

Rex by damn I'm buying you a beer when we meet

Night Dragon

Topics: 0   Posts: 10
Yep, I wear one nomatter what state I'm in. I think that it's a totally personal choice, but I have also seen too many folks end up with serious brain injury or worse from going down without a skid-lid. One poor guy still wets his pants every time he laughs real hard cuz of lasting brain damage. (We try not to notice) :->

Topics: 49   Posts: 9624
Reloaded from mu first post to this question.    

Here ya go. One of my serious PEEVES. FREEDOM OF CHOICE! I am greatly opposed to the govt trying to tell me or any other adult what to wear or when to wear it just because some liberal do-gooder wants to impose their ideas on everyone else. Whether it be a motorcycle helmet, seat belts, ski helmet or bicycle helmet. And, as for others being stuck with medical bills, that won't happen with proper medical insurance. The Govt should worry more about financial execs ripping money out of our bank accounts and calling it boners (mis-spell intentional). And further more... OK OK OK just shut up Mike and answer the question. I CHOSE NOT to wear one and would defend to the end your choice to wear one. And don't get me started on what that DOT sticker means.

RexTheRoadDog

Topics: 2   Posts: 215

Krum  
Topics: 1   Posts: 75
ok time to put my 2 cents in on the subject i choose not to wear a halmet most times..... i have been in accidents many got hit head on by drunk driver in september of 08 some say im lucky, i say it wasnt my time. i dont mind wearing a helmet but i prefer not to. if i am going to worry about how dangerious it is then i will stay on the couch and wear a helmet when i go up my steps to the bathroom life is dangerious not just riding and riding is my life period. its what got me up and walking again after my accident. if any is curious just ask waiting for comments on this one

Topics: 0   Posts: 11
yea.
have you seen the cage drivers in arkansas

Forum Home | Browse Latest

You must be a registered member and logged in to your CycleFish Profile to reply to this forum!

Search CycleFish

Copyright © 2012 CycleFish.com       |       The CycleFish website is proudly hosted at: HostGator.com